Author Topic: Grandma got run over by a Wrangler, almost  (Read 5210 times)

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grandma got run over by a Wrangler, almost
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »

I dropped my kids off at school today and since my state believes that the presence of children will cause me to turn into an active killer I was not carrying as I ran an errand into store A marked above on my way home.

As I was headed to my Jeep (parked in the place of the orange rectangle),  I did a quick scan an saw a dark grey Honda Ridgeline turn the corner about 200yrds away and I didn't see anyone on foot in the parking lot or in the 3 cars parked behind mine.   So I walk across the road, climb into the jeep, and shift into drive (automatically locking the doors) and just as the Honda started to pass it turned in blocking my path and the passenger door started to open...

At this point I am thinking "Aw crap, I'm getting car jacked!" and I started looking for an escape.  The car behind me is too close to back up, the Honda is too close to go around, the landscaping it too step to go up without risking rolling my Jeep so I decide the only way out will be to go through the open passenger door, over the curb and move the Honda.

... As the occupant gets out and it is a thin lady that is everyday of 85yo but still about 5'10" and not moving too well.

So now I think, "The driver is just letting this old lady out so she doesn't have to walk as far." As I am waiting for her to move I begin checking my mirrors again to make sure the coast is clear and I can get underway again as soon as the Honda clears, but she starts walking towards me, leaves the door open to the Honda and it isn't moving.  "Ah #uck, she is a decoy!"

Now, my heart starts accelerating as I internalize the fact that I am going to have to run an 85yo lady over.  I know that she is not the threat, so I start really looking at my mirrors to see if there is anyone I missed in the lot and looking over the back of the Honda to see if the driver is getting out, but I still don't see anyone.

Just as she got even with my quarter panel she reached into her purse... I think "No f'n way, she is going to pull a gun on me"... but she pulled out "The Watchtower."

Thankfully she was just a Jehovah's Witness trying to "save" me I just shook my head and she got back in the truck and they drove off.

The whole non-incident took place in 10 seconds or less.  You  probably took more time to read this than it took to unfold, but in that time I went from condition Yellow to Orange to Yellow to Orange to Red and back to Yellow.

At no time during this encounter did I shift out of drive, my Jeep was my best means of escape; unlock the door; roll down my window, give the lady any indication that I was willing to engage with her or alarm her in any way, she has no idea how close she was to getting run over. 

I think she was just trying to save me, but I still don't know for a fact that she wasn't a decoy and that I may have been attacked if I allowed myself to be distracted by her. 

Given these circumstances would you consider my thought process prudent or paranoid?
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Grandma got run over by a Wrangler, almost
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Given these circumstances would you consider my thought process prudent or paranoid?

Sounds prudent to me. Boxing someone in to 'save' them is pretty damn dangerous. Trust no one.
Ma Barker was no spring chicken.

Secondary means of defense? (other than the obvious wrangler) OC spray, cresent wrench, big f'n knife?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
Most people, the real 99%, would be sitting there doing their best impersonation of Sheeple while this was going on.  Good job!  I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a mind that races to "unthinkable" explanations for the WTF incidents.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
This is a case where just because you didn't have a sidearm doesn't mean you can't be armed!  I've always got something on me whether it's my knife, a cane or a walking stick.  Any of those can be solid defense in a pinch and the Wrangler was made for rough surfaces like rocks, logs and bad guys in parking lots!

;)

I do tend to park away from the sheep but, no matter how far away I park, someone will park right next to me! :o

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
Looks like there are open spaces across from you (maybe) which is probably where I would have parked (if open).  Could you have pulled forward a bit and backed out?  Might have been another option.  I might have bailed and run, taking the keys or broken the key in the slot!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:49:05 AM »

ronlarimer

• Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »
Looks like there are open spaces across from you (maybe) which is probably where I would have parked (if open).  Could you have pulled forward a bit and backed out?  Might have been another option.  I might have bailed and run, taking the keys or broken the key in the slot!

Richard

When I went in there were no cars on either side.  And for the future, if you are in a large metal box with 265 hp, stay in it.  You have some protection and it moves faster than you can run. 
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

ronlarimer

• Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
This is a case where just because you didn't have a sidearm doesn't mean you can't be armed!  I've always got something on me whether it's my knife, a cane or a walking stick.  Any of those can be solid defense in a pinch and the Wrangler was made for rough surfaces like rocks, logs and bad guys in parking lots!

;)

I do tend to park away from the sheep but, no matter how far away I park, someone will park right next to me! :o

I had my knife... but even with a firearm I would have used the jeep if I needed to escape.
Ron

Balloon Goes Up

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
I had my knife... but even with a firearm I would have used the jeep if I needed to escape.

Don't blame you but make sure of your actions regardless!  Eye witnesses are very unreliable!

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
I think you did right with your 3,000+ pound projectile.
You picked a good place to park, no matter what there would not be a car blocking you on the sidewalk ahead, so you had a good "bug out" route.
Most crime victims are at fault by being unaware. Most people might as well wear a sign that says "Rob me, I'm in a daze".
One observation, relative to nothing in particular.
No matter how anal a school board may be, I have never heard of one that put metal detectors on the entrance to the parking lot.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
surprised your driver's door didn't end up with some dents and smears of Max Factor streaking to the ground
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk