Author Topic: Carry Belts  (Read 6161 times)

Lonerider

• Forum Member
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carry Belts
« on: December 25, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
Anyone know of a maker putting a plastic strip inside of the two layers of leather for a carry belt to make them stiffer?

Timothy

Re: Carry Belts
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
Anyone know of a maker putting a plastic strip inside of the two layers of leather for a carry belt to make them stiffer?

5.11 Tactical belts have the plastic and it will break at the buckle eventually!  Mine lasted about two months before it broke.  It's not a problem unless it blocks the buckle holes.

I'm not planning on buying another like it and I'll go with a stiff 1/4" thick heavy gun belt next time.  It's worth the extra money to me!

Lonerider

• Forum Member
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »
I was thinking about doing that but ending the insert before it gets to the buckle end and the holes end. That's where all the flex is in a belt. Or, make the belt in a "Ranger" style belt with billets.

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
I was thinking about doing that but ending the insert before it gets to the buckle end and the holes end. That's where all the flex is in a belt. Or, make the belt in a "Ranger" style belt with billets.

If you make a ranger belt with the plastic insert please post it here somewhere on the forum.  I want one in black and one in brown.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

Lonerider

• Forum Member
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »

If you make a ranger belt with the plastic insert please post it here somewhere on the forum.  I want one in black and one in brown.

Will do!! Gotta' find the plastic first! What thickness do you think would best? 1/16" ? Too thick and it won't
 curve around the body.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:42:54 PM »

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
Many years ago I had a duty belt that had a plastic insert.  I don't know what kind of plastic it was, but it held a full size 1911 with a two inch belt drop holster for many years.  I think it was Desante that made it.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

Lonerider

• Forum Member
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »
Found and bought the plastic Polyethylene 1/16"
Now gotta' get a big enuff piece of 5oz. leather. The point of putting the plastic in it is so the leather isn't so thick.

rayban

• Forum Member
    • RG Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Be careful with the kind of plastic you use.....or with your belt after you make it.
A fella stopped by to ask if i could fix a belt with an insert in it. He had sat on it while he was getting ready to get dressed and folded the belt in half. It made a crease in the insert that will not straighten out. Even while he wears the belt there is a very noticeable crease in the belt.....the insert may have been Kydex but he didn't know.
Also, after 6 months, the belt had not conformed to his body....you know, like that "S" curve we all get in ours.....so according to him it had not been broken in yet and was not very comfortable.
Rayban

Lonerider

• Forum Member
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Be careful with the kind of plastic you use.....or with your belt after you make it.
A fella stopped by to ask if i could fix a belt with an insert in it. He had sat on it while he was getting ready to get dressed and folded the belt in half. It made a crease in the insert that will not straighten out. Even while he wears the belt there is a very noticeable crease in the belt.....the insert may have been Kydex but he didn't know.
Also, after 6 months, the belt had not conformed to his body....you know, like that "S" curve we all get in ours.....so according to him it had not been broken in yet and was not very comfortable.
I thought the idea was for the belt not to get the sagging S curve! It couldn't have been Kydex too stiff to get a 'crease".

rayban

• Forum Member
    • RG Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
The S curve in a belt means it is conforming to your body, not sagging...this belt is 1/4" thick and believe me, it does not sag.
Rayban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk