Author Topic: Defense rounds for my AR  (Read 2154 times)

Philip

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Defense rounds for my AR
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I just read a great article in this months G&A that I was wondering a few things about.  I have only shot 55g rounds through my AR - plinking and varmit hunting.  The defense rounds from Winchester are 77g, should I be concerned about running a heavier round through my gun?  I won't be shooting this stuff very often but would like to put a few mags in just to make sure I can run it ok with no malfucntions and then keep them around for home defense.  Just looking for thoughts on the different bullet weight and anything else I should look out for.  Thanks for your time, I really enjoy this forum.  It has lots of good topics and great people. 

Respectfully,

Philip

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
Re: Defense rounds for my AR
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
What twist is your rifling? I say just try them and see if your gun likes them.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

Re: Defense rounds for my AR
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
You can get SD ammo in lighter weights.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=18791.msg240678#msg240678

From TW's post:

5) Purchase 40 grain TAP (.223) for CQB work. It is a Polymer tipped spitzer boat tail, part #83256, ballistic coefficient =.200: This bullet offers high velocity even in shorter barreled weapons with reliable functioning in the AR15 weapon system. It also offers rapid expansion, high fragmentation and little retained weight. This round is intended primarily for situations where its' limited penetration, extreme fragmentation and reduced ricochet potential are desired."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk