Author Topic: Any lawyers here....Fifth Amendment in civil suits???  (Read 1827 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Any lawyers here....Fifth Amendment in civil suits???
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
Hi all,

I read how the family of that murdered Border Patrol Agent is suing the .gov or maybe just certain members of the .gov for wrongful death.

Let's say, for example, Eric Holder is called to the witness stand during these lawsuit proceedings, can he still pull an Ollie North and claim the Fifth?

Can he be compelled to testify?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Any lawyers here....Fifth Amendment in civil suits???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
Nope, the fifth amendment is in effect in civil suits. BTW, not a lawyer but I am sure of this.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
I don't know the answer as to the 5th but I do know that in a civil suit, there is no "reasonable doubt" issue!  All the plaintiff has to prove is that the .gov COULD be culpable in the death.

Remember the OJ civil suit by the Brown family?

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
I think it is a bit more than just could be culpable.  I think it reads   "preponderance of evidence"  which would mean that there is enough evidence to show that the government is most likely guilty.

Any one who is present in a room when something is stolen could be the one who took it....but I doubt any of them would be convicted without further evidence.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
I think it is a bit more than just could be culpable.  I think it reads   "preponderance of evidence"  which would mean that there is enough evidence to show that the government is most likely guilty.

Any one who is present in a room when something is stolen could be the one who took it....but I doubt any of them would be convicted without further evidence.

You're talking about 2 different types of law.
The standard of proof is much lower in a civil case than in a criminal case.
That's how John Edwards made his fortune in "personal injury" cases.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:40:50 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
You're talking about 2 different types of law.
The standard of proof is much lower in a civil case than in a criminal case.
That's how John Edwards made his fortune in "personal injury" cases.

Correct!  The Browns didn't have to prove OJ killed their daughter and her friend.  They just had to convince the jury that he PROBABLY killed them!  They awarded the Browns 30+ million dollars I think!  No one will go to jail in a civil case!

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
Correct!  The Browns didn't have to prove OJ killed their daughter and her friend. HIS EX-WIFE AND THEIR SON They just had to convince the jury that he PROBABLY killed them!  They awarded the Browns 30+ million dollars I think!  No one will go to jail in a civil case!

FIFY  ;D

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
Actually, she was a Brown, he was a Goldman.  Both families sued together as I recall.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Correct!  The Browns didn't have to prove OJ killed their daughter and her friend.  They just had to convince the jury that he PROBABLY killed them!  They awarded the Browns 30+ million dollars I think!  No one will go to jail in a civil case!

I understand the difference....   I was making the point that  Probably did requires more proof than Could have

In a criminal case "beyond a reasonable doubt" is requred.

In a civil case a "preponderance of evidence" is required...which is pretty far beyond "could have"

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:08 PM »
as far as burden of proof, as I understand it, there are 12 jurors in a criminal trial.  the prosecution has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

if just one juror is the lone hold out, then he/she represents reasonable doubt, and they can't convict.

in a civil case, juror numbers 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 could be hold outs, but I guess the 7 other jurors could represent the majority or the preponderance of the evidence.

well, crap, I was hoping that Holder was going to have to spill the beans at this wrongful death suit.
 >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk