Author Topic: S&W 625JM (-8) review  (Read 21301 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: S&W 625JM (-8) review
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Alf, you cannot use your JM in SSR unless you use Auto Rim brass and speed loaders or another revo that uses speed loaders.  Also, IDPA has lowered their pf for SSR so that any factory ammo will be OK.  Any load that you use in SSR will be very mild.  A major pf load in your JM will be a handfull but that is as it should be.  Even though the JM grips feel good most if not all are changing to something else.

I'd forgotten about the "rimmed brass" of SSR.  That's okay, I can do.  Plus the web site say SSR PF is now lowered to 105!    That mean you can load a 200gr to 575fps (if that's possible) and still make 115.

I could use the same gun in both ESR and SSR only by going from speed loader to moon clips!   Or I could use my 66 in SSR with real soft .38special loads.

1911 Junkie:  IDPA has added this little rule.

The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is
not allowed. Ammunition used must match the caliber
listed on the gun. The only exceptions would be: .38
special in .357 magnum, 9mm in .38 super, 40S&W in
10mm, 44 special in .44 magnum.

Don't know if USPSA has or is considering such a rule.  Probably not, except maybe in production?   But then IPSC & USPSA don't consider Production to be real competition, just a side match.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
So took the 625  5" out Friday.  (The 4" JM is at the 'smith having the chambers beveled).

Ask about rapid fire accuracy?   Okay not great, not playing card size, but on the paper with .45ACP.   This is 6 shots in 1.40 seconds at 12x18 paper 5 yds out. (I brought the paper in for the picture.  The other target in the background is out about 7.5 yds for reference.)

I started shooting my revolvers double action to help improve my overall shooting ability.   While it has helped noticeably with trigger control with my semi-autos, it has become a small obsession.

Will work for ammo

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »
So took the 625  5" out Friday.  (The 4" JM is at the 'smith having the chambers beveled).

Ask about rapid fire accuracy?   Okay not great, not playing card size, but on the paper with .45ACP.   This is 6 shots in 1.40 seconds at 12x18 paper 5 yds out. (I brought the paper in for the picture.  The other target in the background is out about 7.5 yds for reference.)

I started shooting my revolvers double action to help improve my overall shooting ability.   While it has helped noticeably with trigger control with my semi-autos, it has become a small obsession.

That's not too shabby, Alf! That appears to be grouping in the 4" lower A-zone on a USPSA metric target. You confirmed something I heard about shooting revolver- it helps with the trigger on semi-autos too. I have my 625JM on layaway now. When I get it out, I'm going to send it out to Apex and let them do some work on it. I already have my 617 out there now.....These wheelguns can be addicting....

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
That's not too shabby, Alf! That appears to be grouping in the 4" lower A-zone on a USPSA metric target. You confirmed something I heard about shooting revolver- it helps with the trigger on semi-autos too. I have my 625JM on layaway now. When I get it out, I'm going to send it out to Apex and let them do some work on it. I already have my 617 out there now.....These wheelguns can be addicting....

What work are you getting done?    Are there issues with the revolvers or is it just personal preference.

I am looking at getting my second ever revolver (my first one was a 681?- like a 686 but with no rear sight just a trough), hopefully a 5" 625 or 4" 686, and would think that out of the box they would be pretty good, they are S & W revolvers after all.
He who dares wins.  SAS

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
What work are you getting done?    Are there issues with the revolvers or is it just personal preference.

I am looking at getting my second ever revolver (my first one was a 681?- like a 686 but with no rear sight just a trough), hopefully a 5" 625 or 4" 686, and would think that out of the box they would be pretty good, they are S & W revolvers after all.

No issues, just a trigger job, ream the cylinder, and install a fiber optic front sight with a better rear sight too. I plan to use the 617 for practice and shoot it in Steel Challenge competitions. The 625 will be a USPSA gun.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:12:51 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
..These wheelguns can be addicting....

Aren't they though.

I was disappointed the 625JM did not have chamfered chambers.  My smith is working on that.   My older 625-2 (5") does however.  ??? 

I just need one more speed loader holder and of course a holster for each gun and I'll be ready to try IDPA.   

I was pleased to to shoot the 625 as fast as I did.  My speed record (1.38) was with a 686 shooting .38spls. 

Magoo, if nothing else there's a great psychological boost knowing you can control a full d/a trigger.  Then a "safe-action" should be easy to master.    Anecdotal evidence is I fired a 498 and a 489 in my last two GSSF matches.  (I WILL join the GSSF 500 club this summer.)
Will work for ammo

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Magoo, if nothing else there's a great psychological boost knowing you can control a full d/a trigger.  Then a "safe-action" should be easy to master.    Anecdotal evidence is I fired a 498 and a 489 in my last two GSSF matches.  (I WILL join the GSSF 500 club this summer.)

That is part of the reason I am looking a wheel guns again.  4 months of school left and then I can get serious about shooting competitions (USPSA, 3 Gun and ICORE at my local club, IDPA at a couple of clubs not far from home) as well as some fun stuff like Speed Steel & Bowling Pins.

BTW I took two of my girls and my 10 22 out to the range yesterday to run some of my reloads over a chronograph and they both had a good time for different reasons.  The youngest was intent on hitting the bullseye at 25 yards the other was trying to keep them all on paper as fast as she could pull the trigger.  Saved my trip to the range from being a disappointment (see my post in reloading) as well as feeding their shooting bug  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
[In case you don't like reading my general musings.]

Got the 625JM back from the smith today.  Looks so much better.  And of course the full moon clip of ammo drops in pretty easily, which is the whole point.    I'm ready to do IDPA ESP.   Just need for a match date to coincide with time off.

Here is a before and after picture. 

Will work for ammo

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
So did your 'smith just chamfer the chambers or did he do some additional work as well?
He who dares wins.  SAS

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 07:18:06 AM »
Just the chambers.     I need to put a few rounds through it first before I consider doing anything else.

Other than this problem it's a very nice gun.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk