Author Topic: Accurizing 22 Rimfire Ammunition - Do the bullet modification kits really work?  (Read 43460 times)

Steve Cover

• Mr. C
  • Active Forum Member
  • NRA Benefactor Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I think you misunderstand (or in my post I didn't make it plain).   I wasn't worried about firing the primer but about compressing the rim such that there is less gap inside the case around the rim.

Think of it this way.  The base of the bullet is supported by the bench or something keeping it from backing out the die.   You're pressing/striking on the top.  Where the side walls of the case turn to form the rim is the only place that can give.   Here's some crude ASCII before/after art.

|    |
        |    |
  ___|    |___
  |_________|

|    |
 ____ |    |  ____
 |___\|__|/____|

The sidewalls were straight when I drew them.   They remain vertical, it's just the rim that compresses.

You are right, I did missread your intent.
However, comparing  before and after rims, I find no evidence of this.
The supported part of the case is pretty strong and has a lot of friction with the die, while the very maluable lead is free to flow into the open areas of the die and fill in the nose shape.
The transition from case wall to rim is not a sharp 90 degree bend.  
There is a slight curve in the transition that would tend to transfer some of the downward force outward into the rim proper.
I believe that the bullet would set back into the case long before the case/rim junction failed.

Sorry that I missunderstood,

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
No need, Steve, I just didn't explain it well the first time.

Obviously, it hasn't been a problem or it would have come up.  It would just be my main concern and be my luck to happen do that.

Brass if fairly malleable, but as you point out the lead is more so.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
I'm waiting to see the targets from 50', 50 yards and 100 yards.  I like what these tools are able to do, but from everything I've seen in accurizing of firearms, there are items like chamber, rifling and crown, and ammunition is based on ignition, powder charge, bullet weight, crimp (or lack there of), and headspace.  I even saw an experiment where they compared issues with the point to issues with the tail:  The nipped and ground the daylights out of the point with minimal affect, but a small file cut on one side of the tail and they had fliers every time from every gun.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Steve Cover

• Mr. C
  • Active Forum Member
  • NRA Benefactor Member
  • Liked:
I'm waiting to see the targets from 50', 50 yards and 100 yards.  I like what these tools are able to do, but from everything I've seen in accurizing of firearms, there are items like chamber, rifling and crown, and ammunition is based on ignition, powder charge, bullet weight, crimp (or lack there of), and headspace.  I even saw an experiment where they compared issues with the point to issues with the tail:  The nipped and ground the daylights out of the point with minimal affect, but a small file cut on one side of the tail and they had fliers every time from every gun.
Quite so.

However, the germ of this idea originated on a survival blog.
The idea is how to maximise the effectiveness of 22 rimfire ammunition for the firearms on hand.

The reason I'm testing both my Volquartsen barreled 10-22 (lots of other aftermarket goodies, and glass bedded) and my 60 year old well used Remington sporter, is to see if ammunition modifications are effective and if one type rifle is more able to benefit.

Naturally, I'll be very interested in maximizing the accuracy of my target rifle.

But, terminal bullet performance is the major interest with accuracy improvement a close second.

Steve

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Steve... the best terminal bullet performance I've ever seen from a .22lr was with an American 180   ;D

if you have never shot one, try a YouTube vid for American 180

Sponsor

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Steve, thank you for a very interesting thread.  Looking forward to seeing the results of this and the shot shell experiments you do.  I think that one of these devices might work well with improving the sccuracy of some .22 revolvers such as the Ruger single six convertilbes.  I have heard that the bore diameter on the Ruger SS runs a little large to accomodate the magnum cartridge.  It makes sense to me that swaging the bullet a little larger to better fit the bore would give better accuracy.

In regards to getting fantastic accuracy from a 10-22 and some other rimfires I like some of the things the guys are doing in the superstock section of rimfirecentral .com
 http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167
The idea of superstock is basically to have a traditional looking rifle that is highly accurate.  Although the link I provided deals mostly with the Ruger 10-22 there is another section at RFC that deals with bolt action superstocks.  I personally prefer the look of a tradtional rifle over the bull barrels, convoluted stocks, and barrel tuners, but that is just my preference.  Blue steel and walnut.  There are many tips and trick at RFC and it is the place to go for anything rimfire.

Also interested in the shot shell experiment.  Some time ago I read a very interesting post on a now defunct lost forum post regarding single action revolvers.  The guy had a single action with a custom paradox barrel by Hamilton Bowen in I think .44 or .45, I don't remember which.  The paradox barrel is smoth except for a short section of rifling at the muzzle end.  The short section of rifling is enough to impart spin on a bullet stabilizing it, but not so much rifling as to spin the shot, creating donut shaped shot patterns.  The rifling also keeps it legal for BATF.  I believe Bowen helped the owner to develope a load for it using number 4 shot that the owner was able to bag a turkey with it.  I always thought that the concept was interesting and would like to experiment with it someday whaen I can afford a Bowen Classic Firearms custom single action if ever. :'(
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog.html
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Steve Cover

• Mr. C
  • Active Forum Member
  • NRA Benefactor Member
  • Liked:
<<< SNIP >>>
Where's your property?  I grew up in the Yakima valley (33 years)
<<< SNIP >>>

As long as you have asked:

We are about 20 miles west of Curlew.

The main range is a 300 Meter Handgun Silhouette range.
(Bought our property from a past Women's National Champion Silhouette shooter.)

Silhouette Range Showing Pigs Turkeys and Rams

Chickens are shot at a different range.

My wife sighting in her hunting rifle off my pistol bench.

Its a nice place.  We have 610 feet of stream face on one boundary.

Lots of critters.

Steve

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Beautiful land!!...Looks like you have lots of room for friends   ;D ;D ;D

Is that a real bear in the Chicken Picture?

Very nice.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Steve Cover

• Mr. C
  • Active Forum Member
  • NRA Benefactor Member
  • Liked:
Beautiful land!!...Looks like you have lots of room for friends   ;D ;D ;D

Is that a real bear in the Chicken Picture?

Very nice.
Yes its a real bear... One of three on our property that we know of.

(And people ask me why I carry my 44 Magnum when I visit the outhouse at night... LOL)

Also have seen BIG! cat tracks.

Our neighbor killed a 150 pound Mountain Lion within a quarter mile of our trailer last year.

Here some other camp pests

We plan on moving here next year.

I can hardly wait.

Steve

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Pretty nice spread you have there, albeit in the middle of nowhere  ;D  Then again that may just add to the charm.  I grew up going up getting wood, hunting, shooting, wheeling up Chinook Pass where a family friend (more like extended family) had a cabin.  I thought that was well removed from civilization until I looked up Curlew.  Having worked out of Colville for the railroad I know the general area and it is beautiful country (almost moved up there 10 years ago) but it is well off the beaten path. 
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk