Author Topic: does addition of a "crutch tip" to a 5.56 pistol buffer tube make is a SBR?  (Read 8496 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've tried to wade through the ATF regs, but hope there might be a quick response from a member... does the addition of a rubber "crutch tip" type of end cap on a 5.56/.223 purpose manufactured pistol bump it to a short barreled rifle?

thanks... Les

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
A good question to which I do not have a good answer.  Looking forward to what the more informed have to say on that subject.  I can say, without a doubt, that if it is painted black it can be deemed "evil" by many leftist idiots.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Paraguy... check out the AR15 pistol archived stickies on "AR15.com"... they have a letter from ATF...I'll let you read it for yourself, though...

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Thanks for the tip, it was a good read!  I will be submitting plans for an SBR after all the madness ends and prices come back down to earth.  Will be doing it through my NFA trust so no fingerprints etc.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Catalina

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Sponsor

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
google sig brace.

personally not worth the head ache or risk, but just my $.02

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
You can read all the "letters" you want, they aren't law.  Just the interpretation of the rules at the time the letter was written, by the person signing the letter, regarding the specific case or question asked.    They can change before the ink is dry.

Pistol buffer tube vs rifle stock isn't cut and dried.   There's no clear definition of the line between the two.

The hint has been that if you use the buffer tube, regardless of it's length or shape, like a rifle stock (e.g., put it to your shoulder)  then the ATF and the AG might prosecute you.  MIGHT.    A lot depends on the time of month, whether you're  a thorn in their side and whether you're part of the ruling elite or not.

Given the W-I-D-E discretion the AG seems to have regarding whom to indict, based on whose side they're on, I wouldn't tread to far away from a standard, stock buffer tube.

Make all the mods you want.  I just wouldn't take it out in public and I sure as heck wouldn't show it off. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Catalina

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Yeah I have no doubt in the current USA we live in where the SCOTUS changes the definition of 6,000 year old words to conform their beliefs that the BATFE et al would have no problem convincing an AG that as soon as someone puts a receiver extension to their shoulder a pistol is redesigned and becomes a rifle.

Also, be sure to always hold your pistol with one hand because that's the BATFE definition.  NEVER use two hands because you no longer have a pistol after "redesigning" and at that point and you are a felon looking at 10 years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk