Author Topic: simple and easy key lime pie  (Read 14687 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
simple and easy key lime pie
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
the folks at "Nellie and Joes Key Lime Juice" have the simplest and easiest recipe

pre heat oven to 350degrees

mix
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
1/2 cup of Nellie and Joe's key lime juice
3 egg yolks (no whites).... I add a 4th egg yolk

9" graham cracker crust (I use the pre made "two extra slices" as it makes the custard thinner)

bake for 15min... I add an additional 8-10 minutes until the custard just starts to pull away from the crust

cool, then refrigerate

top with Cool Whip

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: simple and easy key lime pie
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
Will have to try that one.....sounds delicious.........I loves me some lime (lemon too) pies.

My wife has a lemon pie recipe that doesn't require the heat treatment and only has three ingredients.
If I can pry the info out of her, I'll post it.  ;)

*She also makes a top-notch key-lime cake with cream cheese frosting (all scratch recipe).   :D

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
Sorry it is NOT the best or even the simplest.

I am about to impart to y'all a copy righted recipe of the Brown family:

C&D Tequilime Pie ©

9" graham cracker crust

Ingredients:

3 cups (2 x 14oz) Sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup sour cream

3/4 cup Key Lime Juice (fresh squeezed is best)

Grated lime zest to taste / look

3 shots gold Tequila

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F

2. Combine all (that includes the Tequila ;D )  ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth

3. Bake ~12 - 14 minutes

4. Allow to cool then chill and serve.

I GUARANTEE it is the best you have ever had.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Haz, do you drink the shots with the pie or while it's baking?

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
Haz, do you drink the shots with the pie or while it's baking?

Richard

See updated directions. ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:39:57 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »
Hazcat... if you shoot at the Antelope Club, we'll have to compare some time

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:28 AM »
Haz, you no fun!  LOL

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »
I'm no cook and I've never made a pie, but I'm surprised that neither of these recipes require a pie tin.  Is it assumed that one would be used?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
I'm just gonna throw in my 2-cents here...

As a Florida boy for the past near-30-years, I have eaten a lot of key lime pie.  I have even eaten key lime pie on Key West at the place that claims to be the original.

And, I can say in all honesty that the Haz interpretation of that particular delicacy is the finest example in the genre.

The tequila isn't noticeable as a "tequila" flavor.  But, it brings things together in a synergistic way that just works.

AND...

It gives you the excuse to crack that unopened bottle of "gold" and knock back a couple until the pie is chilled and ready.

If you DO happen to try Haz's recipe, I believe it will be highly unlikely that you will ever make it any other way.

Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
I too have had pie from the aforementioned pie joint on Key West!  It's been 36 years so I'm sure my pallet is clear!  If I can find some Key Lime juice, I'll give both a try and provide a range report!

Either way, it's pie! 

'Nuf said!...... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk