Author Topic: 100 Years Ago This Week.... She Was A Fine Ship. R.M.S. Titanic  (Read 5253 times)

tombogan03884

Re: 100 Years Ago This Week.... She Was A Fine Ship. R.M.S. Titanic
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
Yep.

I also think the working crew had an effect on the uprightness. Like several pointed out on the shows, I feel they sacrificed themselves working to keep the ship afloat for so long.
After all the study and research, there are just too many factors involved to 'blame' one area more than another for the tragedy. Many things could have been done better, or at least different, and it would have been just another footnote in history (like the educational system seems to have made it) instead of a learning point. One of the guys on the History channel show pointed out that many of the ship design characteristics are still in use today in shipbuilding...... albeit with better metallurgy.

NOT TRUE !
Global warming makes for safer seas.   

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
NOT TRUE !

Deeper too  ;D
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:26 PM »
While waiting for my car being repaired at the dealer, I managed to get control of the waiting room remote, and turned off Ellen Degenerate. I put History on, and caught the last 10 minutes of what had to be the Ballard show. Very good - damn, those photo mosaics were incredible, as was the mapping of the ocean floor, as well as the analysis that led to the conclusion that the stern had been spiraling down, whereas the bow section glided

The one thing they pointed out was that the design of the ship was the primary reason it stayed upright. They pointed out that with the Andrea Doria, the Lusitania and the recent grounding off Italy, they all rolled when they took on water. The Titanic did not, even when sinking. Might have been the trimming efforts, they thought it was based on the design of the ship.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »
Did anyone catch the new 4 part mini-series.  It's a fictional drama done in a rather different approach.  Each 1 hour show starts the time-line over, but follows different passengers and crew.  In Part 4 the ship finally sinks.   While fiction, it does give one a different  look at the drama that may have taken place over the Decaprio version.

I especially was fascinated with the story of the killer, Peter, who decided to chuck his life of crime in UK/Ireland and head for a new start in America.  In this story he turns into something of a hero.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »
I would say the best fictional use of the Titanic sinking  was the Clive Cussler book (later movie) "Raise the Titanic".

Sponsor

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
NOT TRUE !

Sooooo....
Let me get this straight.....it was Al Gore that sank the Titanic??
Makes perfect sense to me.

;)

;D

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Sooooo....
Let me get this straight.....it was Al Gore that sank the Titanic??
Makes perfect sense to me.

;)

;D

Makes more sense than blaming Bush.  ;D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
I would say the best fictional use of the Titanic sinking  was the Clive Cussler book (later movie) "Raise the Titanic".

I actually liked the movie quite a bit....The musical score was done by the same orchestral director that did Close Encounters, and Star Wars. Might be wrong about Star Wars...Still a great fictional scene when she comes up....\

Pretty darn good special effects for its day.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk