Author Topic: Why all the hate?  (Read 21186 times)

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why all the hate?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
solution, dont abuse your magazine nor your gun... but in the slim chance that you do.. in the stressfull sitution of having to use your handgun as personel defense are you 100% (NO B.S.) positive that u will be able to remove the threat with 1 bullet reload and fire again?  in that situation it might be better to grab a bat or a knife and get up close and personel
Imagine this: You accidentally manipulate the mag release. You know have one chamber round, not a 1 bullet reload. Now the gun can't go bang.

While in the holster the guns mag release gets pressed, so before the fight starts the mag isn't seated or it is gone. Now you can't even get a shot off without needing to slap a new mag in.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
solution, dont abuse your magazine nor your gun... but in the slim chance that you do.. in the stressfull sitution of having to use your handgun as personel defense are you 100% (NO B.S.) positive that u will be able to remove the threat with 1 bullet reload and fire again?  in that situation it might be better to grab a bat or a knife and get up close and personel

Yes I can, that is the purpose of training and practice. 

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »

That's not a solution, that's a dream.
Stuff happens to guns and magazines. If you haven't worn out or broken a gun you haven't been shooting enough. 
(One thing about revolvers, if you have any of it, you have all of it. - Bill Jordan?)

Having a Plan B is pretty much standard procedure if you are using a handgun, aka-popgun, for self defense.
No matter what gee whiz bullet you buy or how good the ballistics look on paper, it's still a weak, low velocity round if it's fired out of a handgun. If you want REAL power you go to a long gun. Trouble is, they're to darn hard to stick in your waistband.
So you might have to grab that bat or knife or rock or anything else you can get your hands on for the amount of time it takes for your hits to take effect.

Firing single shot is BETTER THAN NOT FIRING AT ALL!
As I said, it can still feed me if needed.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 12:43:50 AM »
If you want REAL power you go to a long gun. Trouble is, they're to darn hard to stick in your waistband.

Unless you want to walk like Chester on Gunsmoke  ;D
  I hope thats a Winchester in your pocket and your not happy to see me  ;D

ismram

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
As to trigger pull, the trigger pull on my Browning HP was horrible until I had the mag safety removed.  My experience with S&W autos and their trigger pull is that with two of the three S&W autos that I have owned (M41, M2206) have decent trigger pulls.  A M3906 that I just sold to a friend had a fair to poor trigger pull when I bought it new way back when.  However, I had a gunsmith do a remarkable tune job on this gun and it turned out to have an excellent trigger that came close to my custom tuned S&W revolvers despite having the mag safety. 

As to function, my 2 cents is that I prefer a gun not to have a mag safety.  Given the way in which I handle my firearms, it offers no safety benefit to me.   
Wait a second, Horrible? Worse than a Glock worse than a XD, or a Ruger? I have a BHP and I shoot IDPA with it. I would love to remove the mag safety but I can't. Due to the rules. I admit that the trigger does gets better when you remove the mag safe, but come on horrible? I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on mine without removing the mag safe, and I'll bet it's better than most 1911's.
IDPA, NRA (IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR MILITARY PLEASE STAND IF FRONT OF THEM!!!)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:24:50 PM »

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »
Wait a second, Horrible? Worse than a Glock worse than a XD, or a Ruger? I have a BHP and I shoot IDPA with it. I would love to remove the mag safety but I can't. Due to the rules. I admit that the trigger does gets better when you remove the mag safe, but come on horrible? I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on mine without removing the mag safe, and I'll bet it's better than most 1911's.

I'm curious, ismram...what do you do at the end of a CoF when the SO says "...slide forward, hammer down"? Or does your BHP have a decocker? I haven't had anyone show up at one of my matches with a mag safety yet, but am curious how others handle it. I've heard other MDs say they request the shooter bring a magazine with the follower removed for this purpose.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

ismram

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »
I'm curious, ismram...what do you do at the end of a CoF when the SO says "...slide forward, hammer down"? Or does your BHP have a decocker? I haven't had anyone show up at one of my matches with a mag safety yet, but am curious how others handle it. I've heard other MDs say they request the shooter bring a magazine with the follower removed for this purpose.
CZShooter When I load at the line I always top off with a mag with one round in it. I use that mag first, when I remove that mag if it's empty I know that I have one down the pipe (No press check needed.). At the end of the stage I show clear, then reinsert that mag and then hammer down. Like I said before I'd love to remove it but can't. I have shot at five major matches and last years Nat Champ match and I was never ask too have a mag with the follower removed.  BTW my son shoots CZ's he has four of them and loves them all. Good Shooting!
IDPA, NRA (IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR MILITARY PLEASE STAND IF FRONT OF THEM!!!)

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
CZShooter When I load at the line I always top off with a mag with one round in it. I use that mag first, when I remove that mag if it's empty I know that I have one down the pipe (No press check needed.). At the end of the stage I show clear, then reinsert that mag and then hammer down. Like I said before I'd love to remove it but can't. I have shot at five major matches and last years Nat Champ match and I was never ask too have a mag with the follower removed.  BTW my son shoots CZ's he has four of them and loves them all. Good Shooting!

ismram...you're son has good taste.  ;D Thanks for the input.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

John McCreery

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
Imagine this: You accidentally manipulate the mag release. You know have one chamber round, not a 1 bullet reload. Now the gun can't go bang.

While in the holster the guns mag release gets pressed, so before the fight starts the mag isn't seated or it is gone. Now you can't even get a shot off without needing to slap a new mag in.

I was teaching a class two weeks ago that includes some movement while drawing and saw someone release a magazine.  How many of us train enough to make that transition to the knife, spray etc. automatically?  We need to.  I've also seen mags released during competitions.  Stress and adrenaline can make us do some wild stuff!

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »
Mag safeties and manual safeties; people love to hate 'em. Come up with all kinds of rationalizations and scenarios where they are bad things to have.

Can you fumble them? You bet! Could they get you killed? Yep. So could your seat belt and air bag.

But the stone cold facts are both are WAAAAAY more likely to save your life than take it. You fumbling w them will most likely make things interesting, not fatal. Somebody else fumbling w it is more likely to save your bacon while you get the edge back.

Illinois State Police used 'em for over 20 yrs. Have documented saves from both, no documented kills. Can't even stack the deck w suspected cases to make 'em look worse, since the number of saves exceeds the total number of officers killed. Local PD used S&Ws for over 20 yrs too, same story.

Even so, both ended up issuing Glocks. The fed's (DOJ/DHS) pistol contracts specify NO to both. Common sense often isn't so common. Heck, took several hundred yrs for the world's armies to get rid of those shiny, bright uniforms on the battlefield... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk