Author Topic: Fast Burn 357  (Read 4568 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fast Burn 357
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
Is there any reason not to use a fast burning powder like Hodgdon Tite-Group to make up .357?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: Fast Burn 357
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
Hodgdon has Titegroup listed in their load data for .357....on page 27 of their general manual. It does appear to create the 'stoutest' pressures of any on the list, but it is listed.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
I've been google-fu-ing it a little and it seems like the biggest complaint is that the powder load is so small people are worried about double charging a round. That's another problem entirely in my mind.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
I have a pound of it to try in my .44 mags, but have not had time to load a batch yet. Several guys at the local range say it is a good powder.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
I'm using it now in 38 some 9mm, and 45 and it seems to work fine. I just wondered about going to the bigger boom rounds if there was any reason for concern...the pressure is up there, but no more than many other powders. I'm going to set up soon and crank out a handful to try at the range.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:58:15 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
Cool. Let us know.

How does it do in .45 ACP, velocity-wise?

I've always used Accurate #5 at 5.0gr....and the load data for Titegroup is about the same charge weight (haven't compared the volume yet).

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
I don't know velocity...I am very scientific. I make some test rounds, fire some factory ammo, then fire mine and go by recoil and accuracy. I'm hoping to get set up so I can actually test the velocity, now that I plan to spend more time "in the powder".

Another "scientific" observation I have made is that the brass from my rounds always lands in a much tighter pattern than factory ammo. I take that to be consistency in the charges.

Having said that I also am very careful to read all the suggested loads and work my way to what I think will be what I'm looking for. I have never yet had to adjust a load DOWN...if anything they are sometimes too light.

www.bluebone.net

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
When loading handgun ammunition I always lean toward fast burning.  I have learned that fast burning gives less felt recoil, maximum speed for load (more efficient in the short barrel of a handgun), and is easier on the eyes when shooing in low or no light.

As long as you follow reloading rules you will have no problem with it.  Rules:  Follow the recipes as listed by the manufacturer.  Changing powders is really no different than changing primers and bullet weights.  As long as you stay within chamber pressure specs. you are safe with the gun, and like I said before, I like the benefits of a fast burning powder in handguns.

We have a powder check on our reloader, so over and under charges are caught prior to placing a bullet.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk