Author Topic: Reason for Stagnation of some Shooting Sports  (Read 2462 times)

WilsonCQB1911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reason for Stagnation of some Shooting Sports
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
Michael,

I listened to your podcast on the shooting sports today (I'm a bit behind).  From my perspective, one of the biggest reasons for the stagnation of shooting sports is the lack of availability.  I really would like to play some IPSC, but I've never been able to find a match to play.  Their website is very unhelpful as well unless you're looking for national-level matches.  I literally have never seen an IPSC match to play in.  Most of the shooting sports are the same.  The exception is IDPA, which I've been able to find fairly regular matches for.  Probably the reason IDPA is "booming" somehwhat is simply that there are more matches to play.

Just a though.  I'd love it if you could push the other shooting sports to branch out more.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Reason for Stagnation of some Shooting Sports
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
The worst offender is the  NRA.

First, you can't just go to their web site and find matches, you have to read the  "Shooting Sports" magazine.    Yes, if you dig, you can find it on-line, but even then, read the first paragraph of the match listings.

"In order to be listed, NRA must sanction matches by the 15th of the month, 2 month prior to the publication date of the magazine."

First thing, listing matches in an on-line magazine isn't exactly having your match schedule "on-line".  Secondly, the info is THREE MONTHS STALE.  And lastly, while most provide an email address for more info, hardly any give a web site URL.  With a little searching one can usually find the web site, but why it's not listed in the publication I don't know.

IDPA, USPSA, SASS, IHMSA, GSSF all do so much better job of listing matches.

NRA is still pretty much into the "club" mentality.  If you belong to a club that sponsors the matches you want, then what more could you ask for?  One day, I hope, they'll join the 20th century ...  or maybe, be still my heart, the 21st,

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk