Author Topic: bought an sr9 and stilll looking;  (Read 9385 times)

Galeth005

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bought an sr9 and stilll looking;
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
so last month i went out and purchased the new ruger sr9,  its in the 330-***** line so i have to send it back to the factory for the new safety and firing mechanism.  this was my first pistol, and i only got it because of the way it felt in my hand.  the trigger pull is very smooth on mine and accurate, however the size is a bit to large for conceal so i am looking for a good compact to subcompact pistol in a 9mm or .40 cal.  i've looked at the s&w m&p .40 the xd9 and .40 as well as the glock 19 and 23.  each of these i'm told are very good reliable guns however i am concerned about realiability and accuracy.  i dont want the same experiance with my ruger on having to send it back to the factory after only 300 rounds for a factory refit on the safety. so essentialy i'm asking for opinions on a good compact conceal pistol.
Don't let their IGNORANCE take away YOUR rights!!!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: bought an sr9 and stilll looking;
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Oh no, here we go again.  There are as many opinons as there are members here.  Listen to any of them and you can't go wrong (just ask them).
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
so last month i went out and purchased the new ruger sr9,  its in the 330-***** line so i have to send it back to the factory for the new safety and firing mechanism.  this was my first pistol, and i only got it because of the way it felt in my hand.  the trigger pull is very smooth on mine and accurate, however the size is a bit to large for conceal so i am looking for a good compact to subcompact pistol in a 9mm or .40 cal.  i've looked at the s&w m&p .40 the xd9 and .40 as well as the glock 19 and 23.  each of these i'm told are very good reliable guns however i am concerned about realiability and accuracy.  i dont want the same experiance with my ruger on having to send it back to the factory after only 300 rounds for a factory refit on the safety. so essentialy i'm asking for opinions on a good compact conceal pistol.

It's just something that goes with buying first year of production of anything.

Galeth005

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »
so advise for the first time gun buyer, is to get something that has been on the market for a few years?
Don't let their IGNORANCE take away YOUR rights!!!

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
Glock 26 in 9mm
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:29:30 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »
  Glock, that may be large for you, Any medium or full size 1911, any revolver that you are comfortable with.
XD and M&P while they seem to be fine pistols are also fairly new models and may have their own teething problems.
Older Ruger semi auto's are not to my personal taste but many find them to be good reliable guns.
Do not let this experiance turn you off from Ruger revolvers, they have been producing excellent quality product for decades, in fact my next pistol will be a GP 100 in .357

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »
GLOCK........GLOCK..........GLOCK.........GLOCK.................GLOCK.........

But, I am biased.  ::) I have also owned an XD and an M&P too. Both of those are good guns as well. Get whatever you want. My receommendation would be Glock, then M&P's, and then XD's..in that order.. My experience with accuracy was in that order too.. Glock being the best.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
How about something from Para?  I really love my little Para carry9 (http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=58).  Very accurate and sweet shooting.  It's a 1911 format too.   Maybe a Hawg if you want greater capacity or large caliber.  They are a bit pricey though.  I don't think you could go wrong with a X-D, I just can't get my hand to feel comfortable around one.

There are a whole bunch of very good choices but in the end the best choice is the one you'll actually carry and practice with.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »
....... so essentialy i'm asking for opinions on a good compact conceal pistol.
Had to send mine too.  Hope it comes back with a better trigger (hit it big...bought an FNP 9 and M&P 45 soon thereafter...M&P trigger is 'da bomb). 

How much do you want to spend?  Makes a difference....I know.  I've got a Browning BDA in .380.  Feels a bit chunky, but a small, solid weapon.  Maybe you'd like the Ruger LCP in .380....kinda depends on you.

Take a look at the CZ RAMI 2075.  Everything I have CZ is a keeper.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
When you say the SR9 is too large, In what way?  The smaller auto's that I favor are Kahr, Para, Glock, but Glocks are thick. Since this was your first pistol, and it is already a 9mm, I'd probably stay with it, although you mentioned .40. If you don't mind a caliber change, a second pistol would be the beginning of what We call a battery. I second Tombogan, on a small revolver, I favor S&W over Ruger for several reasons, the first is overall size, the is nothing wrong with the Ruger, but there is not enough right about it to make me buy one. Caliber choice, if they still made it, I would say 9mm, but alas they  don't and the older ones have appreciated way too much. I carry a 9mm S&W j frame everyday, but today they go for 700-900 bucks.  So I still recommend a .38 or .357 as a carry piece, regardless of your other pistol choices, as it will always work and be there until your autoloaders have been proven.

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk