Author Topic: Ernest Borgnine RIP!  (Read 9013 times)

Timothy

Ernest Borgnine RIP!
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
A 10 year Naval Veteran, Gunners Mate 1st Class Ernest Borgnine passed today at the age of 95..

Fair Winds Ernest!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
Re: Ernest Borgnine RIP!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
Sad!

Just watched the remake of McHale's Navy last night.  Stupid movie, but it was good to see him as a part of a remake of the show he was such a large part of.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine

Borgnine joined the United States Navy in 1935, after graduation from James Hillhouse High School[6] in New Haven, Connecticut. He was discharged in 1941, but re-enlisted when the United States entered World War II and served until 1945 (a total of ten years), reaching the rank of Gunner's Mate 1st Class. He served aboard the destroyer USS Lamberton (DD-119). His military decorations included the Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

In a British Film Institute interview about his life and career, Borgnine said of the war:

After World War II we wanted no more part in war. I didn't even want to be a boy-scout. I went home and said that I was through with the Navy and so now, what do we do? So I went home to mother, and after a few weeks of patting on the back and, 'You did good,' and everything else, one day she said, 'Well?' like mothers do. Which meant, 'Alright, you gonna get a job or what?' [7]

In 2004, Borgnine received the honorary rank of Chief Petty Officer from the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Terry D. Scott—the US Navy's highest ranking enlisted sailor at the time—for Borgnine's support of the Navy and naval families worldwide.

The end of the world as we knew it

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »
You forgot the best one.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
RIP Ernest Borgnine.

Thank You.

Still admire his western and military movies. Think he did a Rod Serling Twilight Zone or original Outer Limit episode also.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:50:14 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Only one of 'The Wild Bunch' left, now..... RIP, Dutch.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
Only one of 'The Wild Bunch' left, now..... RIP, Dutch.

Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Bill Holden and now Borgie - who's left?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Bill Holden and now Borgie - who's left?

You forgot Robert Ryan but he's dead too!

They're all dead now, no one is left!

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
Ernie is one of the few "Hollywood" types who actually got better looking as he got older. 

One morning on the Fox News Show, Ernie got essentially that same compliment from Steve Doocey and responded that he had a secret, but he couldn't tell it on TV.  Doocey leaned in and said Ernie should just whisper it to him.  Of course, Ernie was wired for sound and the world heard his secret: "I masturbate frequently."

He was a good old swabbie who found his life's satisfaction in acting.  He will be missed.

RIP, Ernie.

Respectfully,
Crusader
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
A guy was just telling me tonight about meeting Robert Ryan in the local train station back in the 60's.
He had a camp on the lake and was sending his daughter off to college the same time my buddy and his family were sending his brother off to the service. (he did not say what branch ).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk