Author Topic: Dillon Minigun show topic  (Read 16895 times)

rube12345

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dillon Minigun show topic
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »
Michael,

How about doing an episode about the Minigun?  Dillon is an American company which produces many great products, including the Minigun.  I would be interested in learning more about the history and development of the Minigun, GE's part in that history, Dillon's history, etc.  I bet Mr. Mantegna would be willing to burn up some ammo in front of the camera from the door of the Dillon helo.  And who would not be interested in seeing slow motion sequences of a Minigun firing?

What do you think?

rube

tombogan03884

Re: Dillon Minigun show topic
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
The 1860's Gatling design is probably the longest serving concept in military fire arms, the original manually operated design served until just before WWI and after a 50 year hiatus the electrically operated design has served since the Vietnam era.
Designed to be towed by horses it is now mounted on jet engined aircraft and helicopters.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Mini-gun....The Ultimate Zombie Defense weapon....

I saw a quad mini-gun set up at Knob Creek one year.   They hauled in a scraped semi cab, no engine, and set it up in front of his position and let him open up before the other shooters joined in. 

It didn't shred it into little pieces, but it looked like someone was painting it with bullet holes...it just became Swiss Cheese before your eyes as he moved his guns over it.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Mini-gun....The Ultimate Zombie Defense weapon....

I saw a quad mini-gun set up at Knob Creek one year.   They hauled in a scraped semi cab, no engine, and set it up in front of his position and let him open up before the other shooters joined in. 

It didn't shred it into little pieces, but it looked like someone was painting it with bullet holes...it just became Swiss Cheese before your eyes as he moved his guns over it.

I try not to swear, but WTF? ? ? ?

My favorite mount is the quad 50's mounted on an M-3 halftrack. I may have to re-evaluate the list in light of this revelation!!!  ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Quad AVENGER !  The gun off the A -10, only 37 MM, smaller than the Vulcan's 40MM.
But with depleted uranium ammo it eats tanks.  ;D
Dual speed, 3000, rpm for "GET OFF MY LAWN !", and 6000rpm for Zombie Apocalypse .   ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:52:57 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »
I try not to swear, but WTF? ? ? ?

My favorite mount is the quad 50's mounted on an M-3 halftrack. I may have to re-evaluate the list in light of this revelation!!!  ;D

This was near 1985...give or take 5 years....

He had them in a square set up two on the  bottom and two right above them.  each of them would be capable of 100 rds per second, so that is 400 holes per second in that cab...amazing.

Only two more impressive firepower displays I saw was a Special Weapons Platoon deployed for a human wave attack.   A 50 at each end of the shallow arc of firing positions, 1 M60 as maybe the 1/4 and 3/4 position and M14s in between.  I don't recall, but there was possibly some BAR's in the mix.  They knew the drill and would start at a long range with the guns angles so their lines of fire intersected out at that range.  Then they would move in to a closer range...maybe 25 yds closer.  The guns would change angles, some would actually fire the to the other side to make the maximum intersections at this new range...and continue till they were up close.   They had scrap wood set up on the range and it did get shreded and splintered.

The other was a demonstration of COFRAM* rounds delivered by an artillery barrage.    Think a claymore fired from a cannon that would explode over the target and send all it's steel balls down.  It also shredded the scrap wood.

While more impressive, neither were as handy as that quad mini-gun mounted in the bed of your pickup.

I never saw Puff The Magic Dragon in action.

*''The Contrlled Fragmentation of Munitions''
COFRAM was a testing program to test all sorts of munitions.

There was a 155mm COFRAM round that had a great fragmentation effect and was used during the 1960' and 70's.
It exploded above target and showered the aera below with thousands of bomblets,either explosive or ball bearing type.
It was considered for use in Vietnam by the U.S.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TWillis

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I got to work with a retired BIA officer a Jicarilla Apache who spent time on a federal marijuana eradication task force as a tracker whose job was to sneak into booby trapped marijuana grow fields and dump weedkiller in the water supply. How does this relate? Well the blackhawk that inserted & extracted them had a mini gun (only the best for the drug war you know) and after many months of begging, pleading. pissing & moaning finally on an extract he got to shoot the mini-gun a couple of small valleys away from the field he'd just infiltrated. He let out a war whoop and dumped several thousand rounds into the valley floor only to see 4 to 5 growers get up off their belly's hands in the air begging to surrender. To cool for school.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »
I got to work with a retired BIA officer a Jicarilla Apache who spent time on a federal marijuana eradication task force as a tracker whose job was to sneak into booby trapped marijuana grow fields and dump weedkiller in the water supply. How does this relate? Well the blackhawk that inserted & extracted them had a mini gun (only the best for the drug war you know) and after many months of begging, pleading. pissing & moaning finally on an extract he got to shoot the mini-gun a couple of small valleys away from the field he'd just infiltrated. He let out a war whoop and dumped several thousand rounds into the valley floor only to see 4 to 5 growers get up off their belly's hands in the air begging to surrender. To cool for school.
AWESOME!!
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

TWillis

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
I know he was full of great story's he'd been shot in the leg and stabbed in the stomach (wicked scar, they play rough on the REZ). He taught me a lot mainly on how to step back and see the whole picture and never get wedded to one line of thought on any idea or situation.

Cyril22

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
This is my version of a Dillon minigun, it weighs 4.4lbs and has 4 rotating barrels which are connected to a controllable motor for clockwise or anticlockwise rotation, it also has a front carry handle which offers good grip for the user.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk