Author Topic: Wal-Mart moving away from firearms  (Read 15826 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wal-Mart moving away from firearms
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »
Wal-Mart Moving Away From Firearms
By Jim Shepherd
Apr 15, 2008 - 1:37:04 AM

Wal-Mart has announced it will now film its gun sales in the United States and create a computerized log of purchases. The log will also create a record and alert system that will record when a gun sold at a Wal-Mart is used in a crime. Should the purchaser of that gun later try to buy another gun at Wal-Mart, the system would alert the sales clerk who could then refuse to make another sale.
[ Read More...

There is going to be a lawsuit over this. As soon as they deny a gun sale to someone who is a law abiding citizen it will open them up for litigation in a big way. They can't just "refuse service" to someone because they want to - they have to abide by the laws and not infringe on someones constitutional rights.

There are a great number of scenarios where a law abiding person could buy a gun a Wal-Mart and it later be used in a crime that they did not even commit. They could sell it some years down the road, It could be stolen from them, it could be used by a family member in a crime or a domestic situation. Or, with some states confiscating guns for any reason they can find, it could even get into their database without it being used in a crime.  Wal-Mart needs to get out of the guns and ammo business all together or this is going to really come back to bite them.

Full disclosure- I have bought guns at Wal-Mart, and probably would again if I found a deal that I could not pass up. (I bought a Remington 700 there last fall for $250)
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ismram

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
I e-mailed WalMart last night, informing them I would no longer be spending my money at their stores, and why.  Here's what the "deal" includes;

The 10 points of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership are:
1.   Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2.   Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Mayors Against Illegal Guns will develop a computerized system that participating retailers will implement over time to log crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.
3.   Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.
4.   Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.
5.   Consistent Visible Signage Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.
6.   Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7.   Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.
8.   Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's existing audit procedures.
9.   No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.
10.   Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.

Participating retailers will phase in the provisions of Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership over time.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr007-08.shtml

Send comments to WalMart: http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Pioneer, Did you get a responce from them?
IDPA, NRA (IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR MILITARY PLEASE STAND IF FRONT OF THEM!!!)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
The NRA weighs in:

“I view it as a public relations stunt that stigmatizes law-abiding firearms purchasers exercising their freedom under the Constitution,” said NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre. He said that if politicians were serious about reducing gun crime they would worry less about legal sellers and buyers and get tougher criminal sentences for illegal gun dealers.

“I honestly think it’s a corporation trying to curry favor with politicians as opposed to doing anything meaningful about stopping crime,” said LaPierre.

http://www.star-telegram.com/national_news/story/582600.html

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
I think this is the first time I've seen the BATF and gun rights activists on the same page, *sigh* only Walmart. This isn't the first time they've adopted leftist store policies: supporting Dems, supporting nationalized health care, being part of the "Green Scare" etc. Looks like I'm going to be walking a little farther for groceries from now on, the nearest grocery is a whole owned subsidary of Wal Mart.
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
I'm going to go with...

WHo Fooking cares?

I don't go into walmart and have not for over a decade.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:16:20 PM »

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
Here is the canned response reply that I got from Wal-Mart's corporate feedback department:

Thank you for your message.

Dear John,

Wal-Mart understands its role as a leading, responsible retailer in the U.S. and is making strides to strengthen its already existing security processes to help combat illegal gun activity in the communities we serve.  Wal-Mart has a long and proud history of offering the products hunters and outdoorsmen want and need and that will not change.

It is important to note that these procedures should not impede law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms at our stores that sell them.  These processes merely provide us, as a retailer, an additional mechanism to assist law enforcement when illegal activity occurs.

We are hopeful these enhanced processes  with help from law enforcement and other retailers committing to do the same  can make a positive difference in our communities.

Thank you,
Wal-Mart Customer Relations

John
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
Was talking to the guy at the local Dicks sporting goods gun counter, he said that I was the third person that mentioned the Wal-Mart policy today. I know I won't shop there any more.
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
"The company will also run background checks on any employee who handles firearms. "

But not to see if they are in the country legally!
Good one :)
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:55:25 PM »
Since I think it is only fair to express our feelings to businesses I believe that it is time for someone that is a better writer than me to come up with a "business card" that we can all print out:

Dear WalMart:

Due to your stance on firearms and ammunition sales I will no longer patronize your business.  Your extreme steps to expand the already limiting regulations and to invade our privacy through extreme measures such as recording my image for future reference while purchasing legal sporting arms is an unwarranted danger to my privacy and constitutional rights.

Given your current hostile environment toward sportsmen I will no longer support you with my hard earned money.  When you return to reasonable and fair business practices I will return as a customer.

John Doe
Any Town, USA
Former WalMart Customer

A simple stop by the front door, run in and hand this card to the greeter in a polite way, and turn and walk out.
Any thoughts?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 07:50:50 AM »
Nice idea, but they have NEVER employed fair and reasonable business practices.
By the way, I didn't leave them an email of complaint because they wanted to collect enough information that I would never stop getting sales crap from them...plus I'm sure they sell the information all over the place.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk