Author Topic: Luger episode  (Read 8427 times)

BAC

Luger episode
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
Loved listening to the stories from WWII of Luger pickups (or not).  Good episode again!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Luger episode
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
Pretty good one.  I've never handled one and now I understand how the toggle works.    I also didn't realize that it was such a short stoke action.

Didn't need to morph into the P-38 story so much though.   Could have gone into the variations of the Luger models or other details about it's design and service.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

addict

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
BTW those of us without cable love that you put a segment up online! Nice if that could be a weekly addition to DRTV.. ::)

Addict

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »
First pistol I ever fired was a Luger that my father owned. That thing was a nightmare and constantly jammed. I wonder if he still owns that POS??? I know that if he does, I have replaced it for him with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver and a Glock 22 RFT.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Lugers were REAL fussy about mags and ammo from what I've read, .
I'm sure TW will comment on Pings post since he bought one a while back.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:23:22 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
As any pistol that has a "combat/police history" especially Luger's that go back almost 100 years, sure some will be wall hangers, and a POS as Ping pointed out as far as a shooter.

Some survived with little abuse and were not "shot out". (Like my 1916 DWM)... ::) With all matching numbers..

Yes, it is finicky with certain ammo. It does not like cheap a** foreign 9mm. But with Wal-Mart Remington 115gr FMJ's it will shoot them all day with no jams, FTF, FTE, nuthin...Just a bang....Same with the Winchester 124gr, 9mm NATO rds.

I bought two brand new Luger mags from Meggar. They work fine. Original mags, may have also contributed to cycling issues.

OK, I can live with that, as I didn't purchase it to carry as an SD piece anyway. According to the preview vid, I would agree that the original "period" 9mm ball was loaded "hotter" and was needed to cycle the toggle, cause mine is still very stiff to cycle.

They like to be very "clean"....That's why the Luger holsters totally cover the entire pistol and utilize a pull strap to "lift" the pistol out enough to grab it. To keep dirt, mud, snow, sand, etc,...the heck out of it...

It is very simple but yet heavily IMHO, overly engineered. Lots of things all have to work in the stroke of the toggle. (Which to me is extremely fast".)

I'm sure there are original "ol' war horse" 1911's that are still in Grampa's closet that did their duty, and now wouldn't be trusted to safely fire.  Than again, if they had TLC and care, I'll take one tomorrow. My Grandfather brought back two Colt "United States Property" gov't issued 1911's from his time in the Pacific during WWII. (Stolen in the 70's). :'(
According to him, he "inherited" one from a fallen Marine, and the other he was issued in Australia. They were in exceptional condition, and I'm sure if I had them today, would still enjoy shooting them. (Albeit a trip to a gunsmith or Colt for a onceover).

I had my trusted and local gunsmith give my Luger the onceover and he said looks great, NO +P ammo, stick to good ol' FMJ's and enjoy it.

Which I do... ;D Shameless pic time.... ;)

Great episode. BTW...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
Another thing to remember is that a 1918 Luger will not have the same quality as an earlier , or commercial model because supply issues, personnel issues and increasing demand for "MORE YESTERDAY !" lead to lower quality standards.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
Another thing to remember is that a 1918 Luger will not have the same quality as an earlier , or commercial model because supply issues, personnel issues and increasing demand for "MORE YESTERDAY !" lead to lower quality standards.

Very true tom, just like Moisin-Nagants, Garands, Mausers,....my 1943 Moisin is a "good rifle"...however my 1938 hex Moisin is an outstanding rifle that will shoot coffee saucer targets all day. Seems the war production guns cut some of the fit and finish from the production standards,,

The war issued Lugers with their Nazi markings are highly collectable, although if they were used extensively to "exterminate" the Jews via back of the head, they may simply be shot out.

Mine, on research, was a WWI issue that saw little action, than as stamped "GERMANY" in english font, was relegated to the police after WWI, and than sanctioned for export.

It was a Treaty of Versailles thing, and was common, as the Germans were to "repay" the world for their efforts during the "Great War".

Many countries loved and contracted the surplus war Luger's for security and civil defense, America allowed this to retain order in a bombed out and conquered country.,

Did you know America made Luger's as well...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_P08_pistol

They also copied the Mauser bolt action in what became the 1903 Springfield.....but that is another story.... ;)

Those Germans,....they made good sh**....

MG42 and other variants of the Sturm-Geweher(sp).
Panzer
Tiger
ME109
Luger
Mauser
V1
V2
First Jet Fighter Heinkel Design
VW
BMW
Mercedes
Audi
Duetz Diesel
etc,....

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
I wish I knew who made my father's luger?  ??? I will have to call and see if he still owns it. One thing I do remember is it was chambered in .22LR which would probably make a difference.

My neighbor in Coal Grove,Ohio had one that he retrieved from a dead German Officer during WW2 "Battle of the Bulge". He showed it to me once and it had the Swastika's on the side. He passed away several years ago and wonder if his son or daughters still own it? Serious piece of history.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk