Author Topic: Thompson Episode  (Read 7804 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Thompson Episode
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
Wow.  The slow mo was really good.

For all the talk about muzzle rise all the shooters, including Joe, seemed to have it under control pretty well.  Of course it's a heavy gun, which helps, but how it's held must make a difference.   I do believe that Carbine Williams had an effective way to handle it, but the Army wouldn't adopt his firing technique. 

The one thing I missed was an explanation of how it worked, like you did on the Luger.  There were lots of praises, but were there any negatives with the open bolt in the field?  Also an explanation of the basic models.  It was easy to see that some had bolt handles on top and some on the side.  Why not explain the difference to the audience? 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thompson Episode
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
I do believe that Carbine Williams had an effective way to handle it, but the Army wouldn't adopt his firing technique. 

Please expand on the technique, I've been a fan of the Tommy gun since I was old enough to know what they were.  IF I were ever to venture into Class III firearms it would be a Tommy first on my list.  I may even settle for a new semi-auto one if it weren't the same price as a good AR, at least until I have a good AR  ;D.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
Please expand on the technique, I've been a fan of the Tommy gun since I was old enough to know what they were.  IF I were ever to venture into Class III firearms it would be a Tommy first on my list.  I may even settle for a new semi-auto one if it weren't the same price as a good AR, at least until I have a good AR  ;D.

Lay it on it's side "gangsta style" then the forces that generate "muzzle rise" in theory, will pull the gun from right to left sweeping the target instead of climbing off of it.
Since the gun is designed to be fired in an upright position this simply leads to more jams just like in any other gun.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »
Please expand on the technique,

Working from memory (and remember sometimes when my mind wanders, it doesn't come back).

There was a TV bio  about Carbine Williams and a short segment about a method he had developed to shoot the Thompson without muzzle rise. He demonstrated it to the Army (there may even be videos) and they decided not to change their shooting technique.

As I remember his technique was that instead of pulling backwards with the weak hand, and trying to keep the the barrel level, he pushed forward.     

Anybody else remember this show?  Or technique?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »
I've seen that technique used with shotguns, specifically taught by Rob Haught, but I haven't seen it applied to Thompsons. There's so little muzzle rise with the Thompson's weight it doesn't seem necessary.

There was SO MUCH stuff we left on the floor, including a detailed explanation of how it works...if we can every catch our own tails, we'll get this stuff up on DRTV.

I loved this episode!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:45:18 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »

I loved this episode!

Michael B

Me too, in fact its still on my DVR even having watched it 2 or 3 times.  Keep up the good work.
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk