Author Topic: Remington 700 ADL scope reflection of barrel?  (Read 5953 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington 700 ADL scope reflection of barrel?
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
Grrr. Okay, after getting my blue loctite ready for mounting bases on my Remington 700 ADL.. I have a problem. I first put my scope on the rifle, to make sure everything fit. The ojective end of the scope sits about .200 of an inch above the barrel. The eye relief is perfect. Everything seems fine, until I look through my scope. I can see a slight blurry reflection of my long (26in.) barrel, in the bottom 1/4 of the scopes viewing area. I know it is the barrel's end because I can put my hand on it and see my blurry hand too. Am I gonna have to raise up my ring height? There is nothing wrong with the scope when it's not mounted. It just seems like it is too low to the barrel. I am using weaver grand slam bases and mounts. The mounts are high mounts (supposedly for scopes up to 44mm) and my scope is a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42. Any ideas or other mounting suggestions? Is this normal for a 26in. barrel? Anyone else ever had this problem?

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
Re: Remington 700 ADL scope reflection of barrel?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
I have never had these problems I'd contact Nikon before investing any .Maybe they have a soultion and might send you what you need.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08:51 PM »
I also failed to mention that the reflection only shows up on the low power/ wider field of view settings. From 2.5-4 power is when you can see it. If you turn to any stronger power it goes away. So, perhaps moving the scope a little higher might fix it? I also called Nikon and the tech guy said he had never heard of that, almost like he didn't believe me anyway. He said it did have a lifetime warrantly and that I could sent it in to be looked at now or later on if I wanted to try shooting it first. I'm starting to think now that the Nikon lens are working so hard that they are gathering up the reflection..even at the low power settings. Perhaps I'll try taller rings. I've never seen this before either.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
As I have never seen this problem even on stianless guns. Please let me know what you find of figure out. Its got my brain on overtime and I can't afford that! ;D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
As I have never seen this problem even on stianless guns. Please let me know what you find of figure out. Its got my brain on overtime and I can't afford that! ;D

No worries Gman I've got ya covered, I'm sure I have some loose change in my pocket!  ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:13:16 AM »

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
well, I've been rackin' my brain too trying to figure it out...  I did find out that putting super-tall rings on the gun and then putting the scope in them.. eliminates the problem.  ??? And the lower mounting rings that I got ( really high weaver size)..if you put a shim of some type up under the front ring.. it also eliminates the problem..   so I guess I'm just gonna have to get taller rings. Everything else is fine. The quality of glass.. everything.. wierd it is.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
Have you tried moving the scope forward more in the rings? 1/4 of an inch or so might fix the problem..... especially if you are only catching the tip of the barrel in the scopes line of sight.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
Can you put a sunshade on the scope?

I have a red dot on a handgun that picks up funny blurry images, and using the sunshade cleared it up.

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
Sounds like you got the problem fixed and also got some other good ideas  to go with it. Scopes gone wrong can and are a bad thing had an experience with a Bushnell some 15 years ago and sent it in ( would not hold zero)  sent me a new one , yep same thing we went round and round with them. They said that I MST b using it on a very high recoling rifle and I replied that  it was .223 never got one from them that worked so I took it to the range and put a bucket under it and shot it! At least I felt better about it. Never have got one thing from Bushnell since.

leatherman92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »
I just put a tasco 2-7x on my ruger 77 and it has a 26" barrel and it does the same thing
One riot,one redneck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk