Author Topic: Recoil's editor steps in it re: sporting purposes  (Read 4675 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Recoil's editor steps in it re: sporting purposes
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it. Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly.

- Jerry Tsai, Editor, RECOIL Magazine Issue #4

What is this, Zumbo version two point oh?

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sporting purpose...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:34:10 PM »
Hey Jerry, take your little 4.6mm poodle shooter and shove it up your !@!@!@# sideways.  Every firearm we have can trace its heritage to a military firearm and there is NO SPORTING CLAUSE in the CONSTITUTION you TWIT!
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

Re: Recoil's editor steps in it re: sporting purposes
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
Sounds like it.
Will the site allow you to post comments with out subscribing ?

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
They're getting hammered. Advertisers are dropping themin  droves. Seriously, what was the guy thinking? Its a mag devoted to tactical stuff. It would have been bad enough in Field and Stream, but in an SD mag? What did he think the reaction would be? Idiot!
FQ13

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:30:28 AM »

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:36:50 AM »
I liked Robs letter to the mag/rag

“DEAR RECOIL MAGAZINE,In reference to: “Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of…”

To say I disagree with your thoughts on the MP7 would be a gross understatement.

In fact, the ignorance of that statement is amazing to me. In case you didn’t notice, the only reason Glocks, M&Ps, and probably most of the guns that are paying for advertising space in your rag are built is to put down bad guys.

People may find “sporting purposes” for them… but gun games aren’t why they exist. If Wired or Maxim had said what you did, I wouldn’t care. You should’ve known better.

The vast majority of firearms that have been designed and built in the history of the tool have been built for defensive or offensive use. Regardless of the intended role, military, law enforcement or civilian, the overwhelming majority of firearms on shelves in gun shops and shown in the pages of your now incredibly disappointing magazine are designed for use by people against people. While the “shooting sports” label may be a banner that has hung over our industry for political and (sometimes) marketing reasons, your young magazine hasn’t exactly catered to the waterfowl or skeet crowds.

Personally, the MP7 is one of the few guns on the planet that I would rush out and pay H&K Retail Price for, if it were ever offered for civilian sale. I’ve had the pleasure of shooting them many times and training teams that use them. It is a great tool, but didn’t possess any magical power that made it reckless, dangerous or inappropriate for any responsible firearms owner to possess…. for whatever reason they desire.

I had high hopes for your publication. Now I expect people to stop reading it, advertisers to fade away and your writers to submit their work to other publications that actually understand the industry they are covering.

-Rob Pincus
-I.C.E. Training Company”

The following have so far dropped advertising

http://www.silencerco.com/
http://www.panteaoproductions.com/
http://www.itstactical.com/
http://www.haleystrategic.com/
also Bravo Company and Surefire + a few more looks likely.
Dumb move by the editor.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »
He's trying to walk it back...

http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-statement-16159.html

Sounds to me like he is trying to find a way to say that somebody handed him a press release, and he ran it under his name.  In the article he makes "no sporting purpose" perfectly clear, but in the retraction he claims that is not his belief.  He even goes so far as to admit the info was handed to him.  Now if he will just admit he didn't read it!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
Re: sporting purpose...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:19 AM »
Hey Jerry, take your little 4.6mm poodle shooter and shove it up your !@!@!@# sideways.  Every firearm we have can trace its heritage to a military firearm and there is NO SPORTING CLAUSE in the CONSTITUTION you TWIT!

I did a count once, not all inclusive, and came up with more firearms in this nation since the 1750's that went "sporting" or utility to military.  I always like it when an anti goes down the path that there is no place for a military style gun in private hands, and then I can pull out the M24 history - especially when they love their Remington 700 .30-06 "deer gun."
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Comment posted;

You wrote,
"Like we mentioned before, the MP7A1 is unavailable to civilians and for good reason. We all know that’s technology no civvies should ever get to lay their hands on. This is a purpose-built weapon with no sporting applications to speak of. It is made to put down scumbags, and that’s it. Mike Cabrera of Heckler & Koch Law Enforcement Sales and veteran law enforcement officer with SWAT unit experience points out that this is a gun that you do not want in the wrong, slimy hands. It comes with semi-automatic and full-auto firing modes only. Its overall size places it between a handgun and submachine gun. Its assault rifle capabilities and small size make this a serious weapon that should not be taken lightly."

First off, the law enforcement people you seem to think so highly of just shot 9 innocent people in NYC.
Secondly, do you really think that the people who murdered Randy Weaver's wife and son as well as incinerating the  the Branch Davidian's in the name of "budget share" are some how better guardians of what is basically 90 year old technology ?
Thirdly, where do you get this "sporting purposes" crap any way ?
Lastly, what part of "Shall not be infringed" did you not understand.
This current post makes you sound like Obama, "Oh I said it, but since it went over like a lead balloon it's not what I meant".
You seem to be taking a severe beating and you have no one to blame but yourself

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
What is this, Zumbo version two point oh?

Yep........ a Fudd in tactical clothing.

Add Magpul to the withdrawal list.

Here is their letter from yesterday on FB.

Recently, the editor of RECOIL magazine wrote comments regarding who should and should not have access to certain firearms, as well as comments meant to clarify his initial statements. We at Magpul were severely disappointed in the apparent position of the author and by the comments themselves. We have been asked to provide a response to these comments and a statement regarding our intent to continue or discontinue advertising in RECOIL.

At Magpul we consider ourselves proponents of a culture of personal responsibility, where individual liberties are the true roots of our passion. Firearms are tools that can be an expression of those liberties, and more importantly, the guardians of them. When we were presented with the opportunity to support a new publication, called “RECOIL”, that had a different look and feel, we were on board. We had hopes that the broad appeal and fresh look of a publication of this type could be a big help in getting more people involved and interested in firearms and firearm freedoms issues. We welcome all who enjoy or appreciate firearms for any lawful purpose, as greater numbers strengthen our cause. We also want to partner with those who share our appreciation of the true struggle we are in regarding our Second Amendment freedoms.

Due to concerns about content and true motivation, we allowed our support for RECOIL to expire, with the current issue being our last, until we could determine if we were truly speaking the same language. The recent comments and subsequent clarification made by the editor of RECOIL are completely counter to our position here at Magpul. These statements proved that there is an apparent gap between our values and those of RECOIL. As such, we have chosen not to continue or renew any advertising support for RECOIL magazine unless and until we are convinced at some future point that this publication truly shares our values and has the best interests of Magpul and our customers in mind.

We sincerely hope that the outpouring of Second Amendment support as a result of these comments can continue with as much strength towards educating existing and potential new shooters about the importance of firearms rights and in contacting elected officials to preserve those rights. We look forward to future efforts to reach a broader audience through individual effort, and perhaps through an appropriately focused publication, to continue growth in the number of Americans who enjoy celebrating our Second Amendment heritage.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk