Author Topic: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...  (Read 26311 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »
That's just 'cause you don't have a sportical with an eotech.........."Who said that"? ;D
FQ13

used a "faux" Eotech.... Bushnell Holosight for four trips to the North Carolina Tactical matches Kyle Lamb put on (max range 180meters)....after 9/11 Kyle was not able to continue the matches due to operational commitment, and by the first of the Ft Benning 3 gun challenges switched to a 4x32 TA01.... shot it for all six, as they typically have a 400+meter stage on 10" MGM flash targets (my best finish on the long range stage was a 12th in 2009) and replaced it with a TA31F last year to use the Bindon Aiming Concept illuminated red triangle... we had a couple of Ranger NCOs that tried to shoot their MK18s (10 1/2") with Eotechs... they weren't happy

bring the correct club...my short range club is a 1.5 x 16 ACOG

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
Do ask yourself what you have as a local range. Everything within a 5 hour drive here is 100 yards. Buying an 800 yard gun would be like buying a Ferrari to drive around down town Manhatten, you'll never get it out of second gear, if that. If you have access to a 1,000 yard range buy the .308. Otherwise, unless you are seriously planning for a SHTF rifle (not your stated goal), I think its a waste of money. You can buy 5.56 (happy Tim? ;D) , for a whole lot less per round, and I can hook you up with brand new USGI mags for less than $9 a throw. Try doing that with .308. If on the other hand, you are blessed with wide open spaces, go for it. Do bear in mind though, that in an HD scenario, .308 is kind of hard on the neighbors. The flip side is that with a 5 round mag, its a great deer rifle.
FQ13

The local club has a 500 yd target range, there is in the next state over (3 hours or so) a 750 yd range for steel.  Camp Perry ain't that far.  When I visit the 'home' place in Ky, my cousin has a range built for 900 to 1000 yds.  Must be nice to own property and a bulldozer, and a track hoe and a front end loader!

HD is 12 gauge sxs w/20" bbls, LE reduced recoil 00, and a Gov't Model .45acp.  The missus has in her bedroom, a Ruger P-85.  Backups for thse would be a S&W Model 15 .38 spcl, and a SAA in .45 Colt.  A Winchester 1100 loaded with high brass #4's copper plated and buffered.

Don't come into my house uninvited. ;D

“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
The local club has a 500 yd target range, there is in the next state over (3 hours or so) a 750 yd range for steel.  Camp Perry ain't that far.  When I visit the 'home' place in Ky, my cousin has a range built for 900 to 1000 yds.  Must be nice to own property and a bulldozer, and a track hoe and a front end loader!

HD is 12 gauge sxs w/20" bbls, LE reduced recoil 00, and a Gov't Model .45acp.  The missus has in her bedroom, a Ruger P-85.  Backups for thse would be a S&W Model 15 .38 spcl, and a SAA in .45 Colt.  A Winchester 1100 loaded with high brass #4's copper plated and buffered.

Don't come into my house uninvited. ;D

My dad just bought a backhoe for the farm (got a good deal on it).......... my youngest son is getting quite proficient at its use.
I see a small berm in the future for the property.  :D

Also, my uncle who lives about 20 miles away, has recently dove head first into shooting/reloading....... and built his own reloading/gun shed that opens up on the back side to a 300 yard range. This is really nice since my friend had to shut down his public range and one can only shoot during privately scheduled sessions.......... or in classes through Suarez International.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
My dad just bought a backhoe for the farm (got a good deal on it).......... my youngest son is getting quite proficient at its use.
I see a small berm in the future for the property.  :D

Also, my uncle who lives about 20 miles away, has recently dove head first into shooting/reloading....... and built his own reloading/gun shed that opens up on the back side to a 300 yard range. This is really nice since my friend had to shut down his public range and one can only shoot during privately scheduled sessions.......... or in classes through Suarez International.
Just remember that every berm comes with its own mosquito breeding pond. My advice? Dig it it deep and large and contour the bottom. Due respect to your youngest, but maybe talk to a local dirt company. See if they'll dig it for you if they get the lions share of the dirt. Then put sonny boy to work contouring the bottom of the pit. I don't know about in Ga., but here in Fl., the Ag extension agents and Fish and wildlife have subsidies for building/stocking a pond, or at least wholesale prices on fish, everything from minnows and other forage fish to bass and blue gills.Plus they'll give all the info you need, free of charge. If you're taking out a  few hundred yards of dirt, might as well make it worthwhile.
FQ13 Who can drift a thread just that quick!

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Just remember that every berm comes with its own mosquito breeding pond. My advice? Dig it it deep and large and contour the bottom. I don't know about in Ga., but here in Fl., the Ag extension agents and Fish and wildlife have susidies for building/stocking a pond, or at least wholesale prices on fish, everything from minnows and other forage fish to bass and blue gills. If you're taking out a  few hundred yards of dirt, might as well make it worthwhile.
FQ13 Who can drift a thread just that quick!

We already have the pond part....... and it was stocked through the state.  :D

What we do is dig about 8' down and then fill the holes with tree limbs (the ones too small for firewood) from the pecan grove. Then we get a burn permit from the forestry service and burn it.

Submitted by a proud card-carrying member of "The Thread Drifters Association"........  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:43:43 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
We already have the pond part....... and it was stocked through the state.  :D

What we do is dig about 8' down and then fill the holes with tree limbs (the ones too small for firewood) from the pecan grove. Then we get a burn permit from the forestry service and burn it.

Submitted by a proud card-carrying member of "The Thread Drifters Association"........  ;D
That ought to make one hell of a bonfire. Can we come?
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »
In NH you get a deal on the fish, plus the onsite water source gets you a break on fire insurance.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
That ought to make one hell of a bonfire. Can we come?
FQ13

Yes.
And bring a hog.   ;D

An old high school friend has a local business that builds special fans that are designed for pit-fires for land clearing and such. They are large fans that are driven by big-block Chevy engines and blow enough air into a fire pit to get temps waaaay up.

Below is a pic of a unit over a pit.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Do ask yourself what you have as a local range. Everything within a 5 hour drive here is 100 yards. Buying an 800 yard gun would be like buying a Ferrari to drive around down town Manhatten, you'll never get it out of second gear, if that. If you have access to a 1,000 yard range buy the .308. Otherwise, unless you are seriously planning for a SHTF rifle (not your stated goal), I think its a waste of money. You can buy 5.56 (happy Tim? ;D) , for a whole lot less per round, and I can hook you up with brand new USGI mags for less than $9 a throw. Try doing that with .308. If on the other hand, you are blessed with wide open spaces, go for it. Do bear in mind though, that in an HD scenario, .308 is kind of hard on the neighbors. The flip side is that with a 5 round mag, its a great deer rifle.
FQ13

Got mine today-10 brand new GI mags with green followers for $75 shipped, the wife checked the mail and asked if I was ordering bomb making material (she didn't know I bought them-they were suppose to ship them to my buddy's  :-X )  Oh well, she's over it... I hope  ;D

BTW I don't own an AR yet but jumped on these.  Thanks FQ!
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
Got mine today-10 brand new GI mags with green followers for $75 shipped, the wife checked the mail and asked if I was ordering bomb making material (she didn't know I bought them-they were suppose to ship them to my buddy's  :-X )  Oh well, she's over it... I hope  ;D

BTW I don't own an AR yet but jumped on these.  Thanks FQ!

Might as well buy one now since she already thinks you've got one.
Why else would you be buying mags.   ;D
Go borrow one and let her see it once in a while, she'll never know the difference when yours shows up.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk