Author Topic: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...  (Read 26309 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Where's a good place to get the pmags?

Just ordered four 20-rounders to try from Brownells........with shipping and such, it averaged $17 and some change each.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-pmag-polymer-magazine-prod24192.aspx

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
speaking of 'black rifles'. my FAL (mmmmhhhh Mongo like FAL)... my beautiful black rifle has shown a bit of drama when it comes to ejecting. stuffs a few rounds now and then. enough to be a pain in the butt. the dust cover is aluminum and shows signs of gouging. the brass comes out with a big dent in the mouth  :D  . I have buffed the dings out, yet have not returned to the range to test. until I return to the states and can play again, anybody have similar experience? solutions?
other than this prob the rifle is great, more accurate than I and gosh darn it, looks good.

deep
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

erdes

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
Modern semi auto .308's like the Springfield SOCOM 16, and the DPMS AP-4 Carbine, along with carbine models of the PTR-91, and the VEPR AK Models have all but made the .308 bolt action Scout Rifle concept obsolete. With these bolt action Scout Rifles you don't get any better firepower, (20 round magazines are max.), or any better accuracy, so I just don't see the advantage of them.

Agree that the bolt-action scout rifle concept is out dated due to the the self-loading rifles out there.  I think that a PTR 91/HK 91 or an FN FAL in .308/7.62 is a bit heavy to lug around compared to a Stoner-based rifle which can be lighter due to the materials used to build them.  The choices on the Stoner platform are growing by the day; the 6.5 Grendel being an example.  The Grendel is purported to give you 1,000 yard reach with an M-4 sized platform, which I find amazing.  Of course if you don't need to make 1,000 yard shots, then other alternatives are available in the AR.  I would note that the trend now is to go to a piston-driven AR/Stoner platform even though the gas impingment mechanism would suit probably 99% of the shooter out there.  Piston-driven mechanisms really only come into play when firing in full auto, which most of us don't do cause we can't afford the rifles.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »

Not to be a shill but I found this retailer on the sigforum, and i bought my last pmag bulk order from him. Good guy, responsive email, and fast CHEAP shipping. He has a sale on pmags  right now

http://ottofirearms.com/
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

Not to be a shill but I found this retailer on the sigforum, and i bought my last pmag bulk order from him. Good guy, responsive email, and fast CHEAP shipping. He has a sale on pmags  right now

http://ottofirearms.com/

Nice info!!!!

Thanks for the link, Dan!!!  :D  :D  :D

**EDIT**
This guy, James Otto is fast.  :D
I ordered three 30 rounders just to see if I like them as much as the 20 rounders and within an hour of placing the order and getting the confirmation email, the shipping notification arrived in my inbox saying they were shipped. Shipping out of Florida, so it shouldn't take long to get 'em. Can't beat that with a stick, and his regular prices on the various style PMags are cheaper than anywhere else I've seen so far. Needless to say, his page is bookmarked for future business.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 04:28:30 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Second follow-up to the previous post:

Not only did I get an automated confirmation for bot order and shipment, but the owner sent a personal email letting me know he shipped it and thanking me for my purchase.

I swapped a couple of emails with the guy and he is a owner/operator of his small business outside Pensacola, FL. He offered to assist with any questions I may have concerning AR's and such and generally seemed like a good guy. This is the type business I like to trade with, especially when his prices compare to the big guys like Brownells.

He said he doesn't have the bucks to advertise, so word-of-mouth is his best bet..... so I figured, like in Dan's above's post, I'd pass on my experience to the group also.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Second follow-up to the previous post:

Not only did I get an automated confirmation for bot order and shipment, but the owner sent a personal email letting me know he shipped it and thanking me for my purchase.

I swapped a couple of emails with the guy and he is a owner/operator of his small business outside Pensacola, FL. He offered to assist with any questions I may have concerning AR's and such and generally seemed like a good guy. This is the type business I like to trade with, especially when his prices compare to the big guys like Brownells.

He said he doesn't have the bucks to advertise, so word-of-mouth is his best bet..... so I figured, like in Dan's above's post, I'd pass on my experience to the group also.

Sound like you had the exact same experience with him as I did. I can guarantee I will be a repeat customer. Wish I had a local business like his to work with. Closest I have is across the state from me.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »

Sound like you had the exact same experience with him as I did. I can guarantee I will be a repeat customer. Wish I had a local business like his to work with. Closest I have is across the state from me.

Got the mags today before lunch.
Can't beat that...... ordered Monday afternoon and received Wednesday before lunch. The only way I could have done better would have been to meet him halfway (he's about 275 miles from me in Pensacola).......and any other option for faster service would have cost triple the $5 shipping.

I'm happy, happy, happy!!  :D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »

www.palmettostatearmory.com runs frequent specials.

http://www.tomahawkweaponsystems.com/  This is a local guy for me.  Call Nate, he has low overhead and pass on that I referenced...if no answer leave a message he'll get back to you.  Sometimes he's got a contract and a truckload of whatever.  When he sell's his AR's he'll go to the range with a newbie and show them the basics of how to run them....a great guy.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks. I should have included..."Where's a good place to get 15 round pmags"? Because that's the max we can be trusted with in NJ for now. There's a semi-local guy who is putting together metal 20's pinned for 15 rounds and they get rave reviews. He's on the way from my daughter's house so I'm probably going to stop tomorrow and pick up a couple to try them.
I like the plastic better so far, but I"ll give the metal a chance.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk