Author Topic: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...  (Read 26374 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
Thanks. I should have included..."Where's a good place to get 15 round pmags"? Because that's the max we can be trusted with in NJ for now. There's a semi-local guy who is putting together metal 20's pinned for 15 rounds and they get rave reviews. He's on the way from my daughter's house so I'm probably going to stop tomorrow and pick up a couple to try them.
I like the plastic better so far, but I"ll give the metal a chance.

I've got both. The metal mags run fine, I just like the p-mags better. But there is nothing wrong with a GI mag.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »
<snip>

I like the plastic better so far, but I"ll give the metal a chance.

Jay,

Plastic mags drop free much better than metal overall....they just do.  At training this Friday we were working on reloads and....the metal mags cut into your fighting time.  We were putting one round in the chamber with an empty mag to practice the reloads and the metal mags were always slower.  Any lower I get from now on will have an enhanced mag well to speed things up too.

Go with plastic...keep the lips in good shape by using the keepers.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
Jay,

Plastic mags drop free much better than metal overall....they just do.  At training this Friday we were working on reloads and....the metal mags cut into your fighting time.  We were putting one round in the chamber with an empty mag to practice the reloads and the metal mags were always slower.  Any lower I get from now on will have an enhanced mag well to speed things up too.

Go with plastic...keep the lips in good shape by using the keepers.

Thanks for the reassurance.
I just got seven P-Mags.
The reviews I have read are all pretty much rave reviews, but it is always better to hear it from 'family'....  ;)   :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
I have a number of 'Black' Homeland defense rifles.
I have switched to H&K style rifles for my rifles (I have a CETME in 7.62 NATO and a C-93 in .223)
I want a PTR 91 in 7.62 NATO with a welded scope rail and a PTR 32 in 7.62x39 when they fix the metal mag issues
I have hated AR's since the 1970's and have not been convinced they have improved enough
AK's are my recommendation for a homeland defense rifle on the cheap ($249 a case for ammo)
the AK 74 is better on ammo costs but mags are hard to find and if imported ammo dries up it is a problem
The PTR 91 is what I recommend for a 7.62 NATO, accuracy is about 1 MOA and it hits hard and is as reliable as an AK
In .223 the H&K is great but mags are $50 a pop
the AR is a better choice in .223 as far as price and accessories but I won't have one myself, your mileage may very.
Mini-14's, KelTec's, etc. are not cut out for SHTF use, too fragile in the long run
just my .02
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:30 PM »
I have a number of 'Black' Homeland defense rifles.
I have switched to H&K style rifles for my rifles (I have a CETME in 7.62 NATO and a C-93 in .223)
I want a PTR 91 in 7.62 NATO with a welded scope rail and a PTR 32 in 7.62x39 when they fix the metal mag issues
I have hated AR's since the 1970's and have not been convinced they have improved enough
AK's are my recommendation for a homeland defense rifle on the cheap ($249 a case for ammo)
the AK 74 is better on ammo costs but mags are hard to find and if imported ammo dries up it is a problem
The PTR 91 is what I recommend for a 7.62 NATO, accuracy is about 1 MOA and it hits hard and is as reliable as an AK
In .223 the H&K is great but mags are $50 a pop
the AR is a better choice in .223 as far as price and accessories but I won't have one myself, your mileage may very.
Mini-14's, KelTec's, etc. are not cut out for SHTF use, too fragile in the long run
just my .02

Agreed, though more for accuracy than fragility in the mini-14's case. Mine ran great, the accuracy just sucked. The Kel-tec, well, its a kel-tec. Fine for a boat or truck gun, and plenty enough to say "Get off my lawn", but not for SHTF either.
MY only quibble is with your choice of the HKs,. They are great rifles, pricy but great, but the problem is mag and ammo availability. I'm not the ARs number one fan. You've heard me piss and moan about mine often enough. But its very (in fact surprisingly) accurate, its yet to to jam other than a FTF that I cleared by racking the charging handle, and most of all? If the zombies come there be plenty of battle field pickups in every cop car, and military unit and tons of private homes. Ammo, mags and parts. It ain't the ideal rifle by a long shot, but they're common as dirt, and for a "Holy Crap" gun? That's a huge plus. Its why I initially bought a Glock in 9mm when all the PDs issued them. Now I'd look at one in .40 for the same reason if I didn't have so many mags and a bunch of ammo. I'd rather have an AR with a dozen mags than an HK with one if things get unpleasant. On the range it would be the reverse, but since I can't afford both, I compromise and go AR. YMMV.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 04:04:56 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
WTH?

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/11/marine-corps-bans-polymer-rifle-magazines-112612/

When I was at Parris Island our drill instructor told us "Uniformity is everything, you can show up for inspection with your dick hanging and get away with it if EVERY BODIES got their dick hanging out".

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
I have both a 5.56 and .308 in AR platform.  I tend to be on the skinny side.  In the summer, with just a t-shirt the .308 gets to be not fun after about 10-15 rounds and I have to get my vest with a shoulder pad.   Plus my .308 is a lot heavier to lug around.  The 5.56 NATO I can shoot all day and is light and quick.  30 round mags are standard vs 20 round for the .308.

I'd go with the 5.56 if you are just to be going bang around at targets.  ARs would not be my first choice for hunting.  If you live somewhere with a lot of flat ground, a case might could be made for the .308 for longer ranges.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
I have done business with both these companies with great satisfaction.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
just my .02

??

I can agree on the Kel-Tec...maybe....but not by a long shot on the Ruger Mini-14.
It is a sturdy platform.... heck it is a scaled down M14. I have one I bought back in the 80's that has fired so many rounds that I couldn't even estimate it. Never a hiccup with any type round and it is still all original (springs and all). The thing will shoot non-stop all day long and digest what ever it is fed. Like FQ notes, the accuracy after it heats up leaves a lot to be desired, so yes, that should be a consideration........ But if anyone asked me what American-made rifle is the Energizer Bunny of rifles in that caliber, then IMHO, the Mini wins.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk