Author Topic: Buy SBR or convert AR pistol to SBR?  (Read 25949 times)

rj112275

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buy SBR or convert AR pistol to SBR?
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
Okay, it's time to ask some dumb questions...

Is it easier to buy a SBR up front, or buy the AR pistol and convert to SBR? 

What's the best (and least expensive) way to get a SBR into my gun collection?  By the way, I was thinking of a Sig 556 pistol and converting it.

Suggestions? Flames?

Thanks

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: Buy SBR or convert AR pistol to SBR?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »
Well, the $200 gubmint "permission slip"....aka: their-slice-o-the-pie will be the same either way, I expect.

Other than that, it boils down to cost of the gun you want.
If you already have a rifle such as an AR, then the tax + the cost of the barrel and possibly a gas block would seem to be cheaper than buying a complete gun such as the Sig.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

rj112275

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
I'd be starting from scratch.  I had a plane jane AR a few years back, but needed the funds for the house.  Starting over again, but hopefully something shorter.

At the moment, I'm thinking the AR pistol is cheaper to buy... pay the tax stamp... add a rifle stock and parts, engrave the receiver...

Is that about it?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
Might be, since you don't have a gun to convert, because you can go ahead and buy the pistol and be shooting it while waiting for the red tape paperwork to go through and then just do the engraving and buy the stock after the paperwork is done.

I guess it all depends on the purchase price of the AR pistol (and then the stock parts) compared to the price of a rifle (and then a short barrel).

There may also be some info in the threads on this board (if you have not perused it yet):

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?board=39.0

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Go the other way around, build your lower since that requires no special approval and it will give you something to do while you wait for the paper work to go through on your SBR upper.
If you own the pistol but no rifle ATF can send you to jail for even buying the stock parts.
On the other hand your dealer can help you with getting the paperwork and and he will not be on you about paying off or picking up your upper until you have your tax stamp.
What ever you do, do not take possession of the SBR upper until you have your tax stamp in hand.
That is the part that can send you to prison.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:05:55 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
Be very careful, once you own a pistol AR and a rifle stock, you are potentially in trouble. The ATF are not our friends, and never have been for four administrations. Personally, I don't get the attraction on an SBR (aside from the cool factor). I'd rather spend my $$$ on on a suppressor, but its your call. Just understand that its more of a minefield legally going from pistol to rifle than the reverse. Most folks choose to use a trust, rather than registering the guns in their own names. Basfu can help you here, PM him. Or try the AR15armory.com, or even the Ar15 forum.com, though you get a lot of idiots there. My advice is to take it slow and steady and make sure your I's are dotted and your T's crossed. You want to do it right. I wish you well with the build, just don't make an assumption that will land you in the hoosegow.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
Micheal Bane is going through the process now as well and if he sees this thread and has the time he will be able to add detailed knowledge.

rj112275

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:03 AM »
I do have a 22 suppressor and its a blast. A friend of mine has a SBR with a suppressor. Very cool, and yes... An expensive toy. ;)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
I'd get the pistol and enjoy it without the parts.  Then when I was able to SBR and get the parts I'd send off my paperwork and sit on my cash until the paperwork came in.  I would not have any parts until after the SBR was approved and paperwork was in my hand.

A 10-1/2 inch barrel length SBR seems to be popular with the warfighters who need such a thing to do their job.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
I'd get the Sig with the 16" barrel and get the stamp paper work going.  That way you have an AR and once the paper work is done its as easy as swapping uppers or replacing a barrel.
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk