Author Topic: Considering taking the plunge  (Read 7312 times)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Considering taking the plunge
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
into reloading.  It would appear for about the cost of three 1000 round bricks of whatever handgun caliber, I could get the majority of the components to begin reloading.

I ain't Forrest Gump, but, stupid is as stupid does.

What to avoid, what are must haves.  I only want to have to buy something once.

I'm sure this has been asked ad naseaum, but, give a fatbaldguy a break.  Cheaper ammo means more trigger time.

Something to learn on, but easily/inexpensively upgraded.  Or should I jump into the deep end right away and get a Dillon?
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Considering taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:40 PM »
Go with the Dillon,they have the best customer support out there and will talk you through any problems in setting up the press.I would also suggest buying 3 or 4 reloading manuals and read them cover to cover before you load the first round.And if you have any questions there are a bunch of us the are more than willing to help out and get you headed in the right direction.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
Gosh...we have a thread about that from a few months ago...I am on the way to bed so by DRTV Googlefu is weak..

If no one has found it by then, I'll try tomorrow.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:37:32 AM »
If you go with a single stage press for precision loading for an accurate rifle I would give serious thought to a Pact powder dispenser and electronic scale combo.
There are others, but that is what I have experience with. Fast and VERY accurate. Makes sorting brass by weight much faster too.

With a Dillon 550B you get the powder dispenser with it. The electronic scale is something you would buy seperate. You only need to weigh every 10th to 20th charge after getting it set up. (I"m kinda anal about powder charges)
I also eyeball each tray of powder charged pistol cases with a flashlight to make sure they are all even before putting the bullets on.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Another vote for Dillon.

Richard

Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:26:19 AM »

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:42 AM »
Ahhhh....found this thread

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=17369.0

note taking in progress
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

unclejames

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
Get the Dillon. Also know that you wont really save any money ,but you will shoot more for the same dollar.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
.... you wont really save any money ,but you will shoot more for the same dollar.

This is the reloading mantra.

I stand by my post over in the other thread.   

If I had dedicated caliber stations, they're probably be Dillon.     If I were new to reloading and jumping into progressive at the same time, it would also probably be Dillon, though I suspect  RCBS and Hornady give the same support.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
Not to buck trends, but I have a Lee turret press and have had no trouble with it.  I have a head for 9mm, 40, and 45, plus one for 223.  It came fairly well thought out and changes calibers fast.  I haven't really timed to see what the round count/hr is but I can fill a tray pretty quickly if I'm doing my part.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
Don't know shit about re-loading but I gotta get my post count up for acceptance to the club!

7K is the magic number...

Good luck!

8) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk