Author Topic: .22 "black guns" Thoughts?  (Read 4461 times)

bigguns

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.22 "black guns" Thoughts?
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Hi guys, just stumbled in through a cross link, LOTS of thought provoking and informative stuff. A little background, I am a retired Navy guy. Ship rider for 20yrs. Most of the time on ships I was a member of the Ships self Defence force (ssdf) and an armorer. Not that this experience makes me any kind of expert but I did pick up a lot of valuable information.
Anyway, looking through the crystal ball, a "zombie apocalypse" scenario is looking more and more realistic sometime down the road. Hope I'm wrong but don't want to get complacent. So I'm taking stock of my assets and I'm not in too bad shape. A few autoloader pistols in 9mm, 45, .380, and 32acp. A .30 carbine with bayonet lug and pig sticker to go with, Ruger mini-14 in .223, several pump and auto shotguns. I have been thinking though that a high cap, autoloader "black gun" should be in the mix (All the tacticool goodies for sure) but the cost of the weapon along with the ammo costs are a little prohibitive. I have seen a lot of tac guns lately in .22 and at first kind of poo-poo'ed them as just plinkers, but I keep coming back to them thinking that they might not be a bad option. The .22 is certainly lethal enough within it's range, it is cheap to shoot, and they do sell some pretty decent HP rounds for them. So anyway, guys? your thoughts on this?

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: .22 "black guns" Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »
If my armory was complete I would go for one. But not a good substitute for any other battle rifle. IMO
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »
The .22, no matter what it's shaped like, is a great plinker and small game gun, period.
If you want a fighting rifle or carbine buy a fighting rifle or carbine.
No one gun will do it all.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1083
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
An AR plus a dedicated .22 upper would do what you need. You could practice with the .22 and use the 5.56 upper for when the SHTF. Or just get a 10/22 and you can make it as tacticool as you want. That's what I did.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

bigguns

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
@Jumbofrank, Happen to have a 10/22. The stock got cracked at the range (Dumb ass friend of mine dropped it) As for the AR build, I guess piece by piece I could build a pretty badass Tac rifle (not cheaper to be sure but more affordable over time) The idea of dedicated uppers for tac/plinking is pretty good. Have a M1 carbine if SHTF before I got her built..... That and the Mini14 with high cap mags is a pretty good set up. Need to tac out one of the 870 Remingtons too, but like I said, I'm not in bad shape.
Now on to some training/fam for the wife and kiddos...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:00:52 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
You say you have a 10/22 that needs a stock?

You find an interest in "black" .22s?

Do I have just what you need    http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/aa556r.htm

It will look pretty bad, but it will still be just a 10/22.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

bigguns

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanks Solus, I get the "it's still just a .22" concept. What kind of intrigued me is that while no, I wouldn't be able to engage at 400y, in a CQB scenario a .22 could fill a niche that none of the other weapons I have will do. It is quiet, pretty lethal if employed properly, you can carry a butt ton of ammo, it would be small and swing nice, and most importantly, affordable to get proficient with. That said, I do totally understand the need for a more "capable" round. BTW, I liked the promag page. lots of goodies to tac out my 870....
that will probably be my next project.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Pretty much every one carries 10/22 stocks, replacing that is just a matter of deciding what you like.
Whether you want OEM style

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151527521/hogue-overmolded-rifle-stock-ruger-10-22-920-barrel-channel

Target style

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/rifle-stocks/10-22-vantage-rs-stock-prod54739.aspx

Or something else

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=717900&filter=717900&catid=0

Some of the advantages to building an AR with .22 Upper are that it gives you more knowledge of your rifle than you would otherwise gain, you can buy parts as you can afford them instead of all at once, you can build exactly the features you want instead of having to modify a stock rifle, the controls on your "cheap plinking 22 are the same as your centerfire rifle, and it's fun.  ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:09:44 AM »
First welcome aboard! Second, guns are personal things, so buy what you like. But, if it were me.....
I'd lose the .30 carbine and Ruger mini 14 and trade them in on a decent AR (which will run you about 7 or 8 bills if you shop around. I'd look at S@W, Del-Ton and Palmetto State Armory or DPMS, and I can make you a good deal on a DPMS Sportical), or a good AK, for about $100 less. You'll make money on the sale and can use it on much more commonly available mags and ammo. Plus, ANY AR will shoot circles around the Ruger (and I owned and liked one, but it was minute of pie plate at 75 yards, just bein' honest ;)), plus the AR mags are cheap and common, so are the parts. Ditto with the AK.

As to the .22, if you are hell bent on taciticool, S@W makes their M@P AR in .22 and its a nice gun. But personally, for a whole lot less money? I'd just stick with your  Ruger 10/22 with some twenty round factory mags. I mean the plastic isn't going to make a .22 anything but a .22, unless you're Chuck Schumer or Dianne Feinstein. ;) They are common as dirt, AK reliable, mags are everywhere, and they are more accurate then you are out of the box. Mine's thirty years old and I can hit a golf ball at fifty yards, and I'm not that great a shot. They are just a sweet gun. Buy a new stock, have a smith mount a rail (probably around  $50) and buy a red dot or a 4 power scope if you want, though the irons are fine until your eyes are getting old like mine are. Frankly, I think every American should be issued a 10/22 on their 10th birthday. ;D

Anyway, if you're worried about the zombies, or just want to keep kids off your lawn, that's the route I'd take. YMMV.
FQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk