Author Topic: Refurbishing a whetstone  (Read 12366 times)

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Refurbishing a whetstone
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
My dad has an old stone that has been worn smooth.  Do any of you have any suggestions for getting it back into working shape?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Refurbishing a whetstone
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
Might just be clogged up, try blasting it with "Brake Clean" then re oil and try it out.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

McGyver

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »
Maybe a quick burst with a sandblaster could work!  I've tried it a few times and all turned out well.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
On John Wayne's Tombstone

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
Wire brush and mineral spirits

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
Failing that, a trip to  Ebay. You can get some decent stuff cheap.
FQ

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sharpening+stones&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:27:49 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
Flip it over  ;D

Actually I've used stones so much that they become concave, usually for honing High Speed Steel bits for machining plastic, and that is usually fixed by a trip to the surface grinder.  I think the suggestions mentioned above should get your grit back to where it was.
He who dares wins.  SAS

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
Flip it over  ;D

There's one in every crowd.
It's usually me.

Thanks guys! We haven't had a chance to try the suggestions yet, but we will.  Feel free to keep any more suggestions coming.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 03:02:54 AM »
I use ceramics now.
If the above doesn't work, buy a medium or coarse and use the old one for the fine?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
I use ceramics now.
If the above doesn't work, buy a medium or coarse and use the old one for the fine?

You found me out..... this is usually what I do.    ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I bought a Smith's sharpener. Its a cheapo, but when I saw the guys at my fish market using them it was the kicker. Those boys need to keep the fillet knives sharp and they won'r mess around with crap. Its a steel not a stone, but for around $10?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk