Author Topic: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?  (Read 8201 times)

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why so many hunting shows, and so few shooting shows?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
Funny you should mention that. I live in Maine, and was talking with someone at work today that is from Texas. He told me he hunts on a "hunting lease". I didn't know about them either.
"Maine Prepper" from Youtube is from Texas.
I lived there for a dozen years.. I loved/miss it alot.. Where ya from up there??
Remember the one flap that the press could dig up on Rick Perry on where his family hunted? That was a lease. There's lots of them. Check Gunbroker. Probably even Craigs List.. (The gun counter at Cabelas or LL Beans up there too.)
Welcome to the board, btw!
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
I am in Southwestern Maine.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
So while I forgot what I was gonna reply here...  :-[
"Wednesday Night at the Range" on Outdoor Channel is a good start. Even CBS and NBC, on their "sports" channels have things like 3-Gun shooting shows now. It really is changing. I can find "shooting" shows three nights a week now. As recently as two years ago, that was not the case.. Discovery has em. History ran Top Shot for a few seasons. I think that one just ran it's course though.
I suspect that there's a thought of not wanting to get "labeled" as catering to crazies, in the board rooms too..
They're there!

I lived in Limerick. If you're looking for a VERY GOOD FFL, PM me. My guy in Sanford will take care of you. I'll let him know you're coming and he really will take care of you.. Let me know..

Motodeficient

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
Cool, Limerick is not all that far from me, maybe 45 minutes away. Thanks for that offer! I have an FFL shop that I use that I am pretty happy with!

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Cool, Limerick is not all that far from me, maybe 45 minutes away. Thanks for that offer! I have an FFL shop that I use that I am pretty happy with!
;)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:02:11 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
Lebanon Me for about 6 years, Rochester NH for about 15 .

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
I also want more gun shows.  To me, even the gun shows are a tiny bit lacking.  I'm an electrician and mechanic.  I want more shows about the guns themselves...How they work in detail.  The shows where they tour a factory is nice but I want to see the guns taken down and shown what makes them tick.  Some may find a show like that boring unless they dabble as I do in smithing.  I only watch TV on wed. night for this reason. I spend a lot of time on youtube to get my gunsmithing fix. Just my two pennies.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
As a machinist and former unit armorer I agree with you .
The problem is that most viewers are only slightly past the "what end does the bullet come out" stage .
Start talking about roller locking delayed blow back and they'll be asleep or switched over to "Dancing with the Stars".

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Tom,

I agree with you.  The entire broadcast system is dumbing down, and attempting to drag us with it.  You used to be able to tune into DIY and learn how to build, refurbish, or maintain things; there was an aircraft channel where they actually had shows that showed aviation tech items, but they showed aviation vacations, history, and even building your own aircraft (this is the network that became the Military Channel); and you could find stations of all kinds of other interests that actually taught you.  Today nearly everything is becoming an over drama soaked cuss fest and short time limits to do stuff.  Larry Potterfield is still trying to teach us in is advertising, but he needs to do it in a promotional format, because they won't build an entire show around it.

If broadcast media claims that we are too deep into our podcasts and dvd's it is only because they forced us to go that way!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Heck, I was happy if I could catch Norm Abrams on the "Yankee Workshop".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk