Author Topic: Nikon P-223 3-9X 44 MM Scope  (Read 2605 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Nikon P-223 3-9X 44 MM Scope
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »

I just bought one of these and installed it on my Bushmaster Modular Carbine with Leupold Mark IV Steel Tactical Rings. This model has the "BDC" Reticle, (Bullet Drop Compensating). I was going to go with a Leatherwood M-1000 "Camputer", but this was a simpler set up with no mechanical cams, springs, and all the rest. Simple is always better.

The reticle has small circles on the lower vertical crosshair that will give you bullet drop for various sight in distances, and on out to 600 yards. You can get a printout of your load by going to Nikon's website,

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/

You must have Java installed on your browser for it to run. If you don't have it they provide a link to install it. It is a clean link that my Norton 360 verified, and installation was quick and painless. You select your load, (mine was Federal American Eagle 55 Gr. FMJBT). You then select your sight in range, (mine was 100 yards), then click on the "FIRE" button, and it will give you the trajectory for 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards that match the reticle. You can then print it out and keep a copy in your gun case.

If you change your load, all you have to do is go to the website, punch in the load, and get another printout. I know all of these ranging reticles aren't perfect, but this one gives you the distance from computable numbers, not from trying to stick some "average" deer's chest between 2 skinny lines you can hardly see, while the deer is running over all Gods creation. Those things always were a joke. I hope to get out to the range early next week and get this rig sighted in. My club has a range out to 500 yards, so I should be able to prove this thing out one way or another. I'll let you guys know how it all goes.

The optics on this scope are very sharp, bright and clear for a scope in this price range, ($200.00 + or -). It has nice large readable turrets with 1/4 minute clicks. The turrets have set screws, so you can reset them to zero after you get everything dialed in. So far the whole deal looks pretty nice. I'll know better after I run some ammo downrange with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk