Author Topic: 12ga. AR-10  (Read 11336 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
12ga. AR-10
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »

12 Gauge, AR-10 Based Shotgun Now a Reality

If you want a high capacity, semi-automatic tactical shotgun feeding from a box magazine, the Saiga-12 is pretty much your only option. Ho hum. But wait, a challenger appears!

Intrepid Tactical Solutions is releasing the AR-12, a 12-gauge shotgun upper that fits on standard SR-25/PMAG type AR-10 lowers. The upper is piston driven.  The user must install a stouter, shotgun-specification recoil spring in the buffer tube, but otherwise the lower half of the gun remains the same as an AR-10. An 8-round single stack magazine has been designed to fit in the big AR-10 magazine well.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/02/12/12-gauge-ar-10-based-shotgun-now-a-reality/

But wait, there's more......

The genius of the AR-12 may also be its downfall — proprietary ammunition. Traditional 12 gauge ammo doesn’t get along well with box magazines due to the rims of each round stacking up against each other, and there are other complications as well. Ask Saiga-12 owners and they will tell you about the long, hard road to getting one of those guns to work reliably with cheap, low-brass ammunition. Intrepid went outside the box and designed a new, all-polymer 12 gauge round that resembles a scaled-down 40mm grenade, with a rebated rim, round nose cone, and “payload” area containing the shot. This new RAS-12 ammo is said to be key to the AR-12′s reliability and terminal ballistic performance.

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

Re: 12ga. AR-10
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
Saw an MKA 1919 in the LGS today $1000 and it takes standard 12 ga.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »
Unless it works on standard ammo its just not worth it.  Fwiw, i don't really see a need for a box type mag on a shot gun.  Yeah its cool and all, but is it really that usefull?  Last time i checked a mag tube reloader is faster then a mag change.  there was also a company that mad a rotating mag tube deal( not sure if they ever got it too work or it got canned by the atf)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
Didn't I see a thread on here in the last few months about a new type of shotgun ammo?

Gee, who could have it been that started that thread?  ;D ;D ;D

I guess they should have checked here before they went down that road...
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
We would have told them the same thing we told you.
It's a non starter.  ;D

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=20891.0

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:25:51 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Having seen their solution I hope it catches on but as per our previous discussion I don't think it will.  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
Unless it works on standard ammo its just not worth it.  Fwiw, i don't really see a need for a box type mag on a shot gun.  Yeah its cool and all, but is it really that usefull?  Last time i checked a mag tube reloader is faster then a mag change.  there was also a company that mad a rotating mag tube deal( not sure if they ever got it too work or it got canned by the atf)

That's the XRail mag.
Spring tension would rotate the shells around and give the shooter 22 rounds to use.
Downside is it's HEAVY AS HELL and expen$ive - $650.

I wonder if MB has two.  ;)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:19 AM »
20 rounds in a drum magazine will be heavy, but put that same 20 out near the muzzle and you got a challenge shooting trap or skeet.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
That's the XRail mag.
Spring tension would rotate the shells around and give the shooter 22 rounds to use.
Downside is it's HEAVY AS HELL and expen$ive - $650.

I wonder if MB has two.  ;)

Jerry Miculick (sp?) shoots it, and he has no problem with the weight.  However, it is a full box of shells hanging out there, and he is better than anyone I've seen all around with three gun.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »
Jerry Miculick (sp?) shoots it, and he has no problem with the weight.  However, it is a full box of shells hanging out there, and he is better than anyone I've seen all around with three gun.

Jerry has no trouble with lots of things normal humans struggle with   ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk