Author Topic: Need help with Colt Lower  (Read 6277 times)

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help with Colt Lower
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Hey all,
I have a Colt AR-15 with the pinned block in the lower. I didn't realize this at the time that I picked up a Rock River NM trigger to drop into the lower.

Does anyone know if I need to purchase a specific trigger to put in the lower or can I remove the block to fit any aftermarket trigger? Does removing the block put me in hot water with the ATF?

(The fact that the lower has the .170 trigger pins and the kit I bought has the .156 pins is the other issue I realized when I took out the original trigger for the install didn't help the situation) Going to return the RR NM trigger until I can find one that works for my lower. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Need help with Colt Lower
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
Ok, after doing some research online, I have found that I can remove the "Sear Block" with a cut off wheel or have it machined out for installing aftermarket triggers. Now I just need to get my ass in the garage and start carving on my lower..... :o
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
Timney makes a large pin trigger for the Colt. They charge $55 to remove the block. S&H is extra but I can drive there.  ;)
I'd rather do that than go after my lower with a Dremel, but YMMV.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
Sorry I couldn't be more help.  

Your tale is a caution to all buyers to consider things like whether the trigger is standard or  not.

I'm fortunate in both of mine are held in by the two small pins so aftermarket parts are no bog deal.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »
Thanks, I don't have a problem doing the removal myself. I have the tools and the time. I have a Olympic Arms Service trigger that I am going to try (large pins) to see if it is better than the stock Colt trigger.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:46:22 AM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
I have a Olympic Arms Service trigger that I am going to try (large pins) to see if it is better than the stock Colt trigger.

It may be the same but hard to picture it would be worse.
That RRA match trigger is a good one and resides in my M&P. Now you've given me a reminder to get rid of my Colt HBAR trigger which has 3 pulls. 1 gets you started, crunch #2 gets you close and the final creep gets you a bang.
Since you provided the reminder, it's only fair that you eat some of the cost. I'll have my people contact your people.  ;D

Give us a heads up on how your conversion goes.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
UPDATE: I cut out the block and installed the other trigger with the JP Enhanced Springs I bought at Carolina Gunrunners. Trigger pull dropped from over 9# to 6# with a much better feel.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »
Ok, now unless the forum dates are screwed up, this means Byrand71 beats my records of getting around to projects.   ;)
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
Ok, now unless the forum dates are screwed up, this means Byrand71 beats my records of getting around to projects.   ;)

Heck, I've got you both beat on some project time-frames........ just too embarrassed to post them on here.......... (not that anyone on here would pick up on things like that).  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
LoL, I finished the trigger install a few months back, I just now got around to posting it. I have been away from the forums for too long. I haven't had a job where I sat in front of a computer for 8 hours a day in over 2 years. I am too busy servicing and repairing air compressors now.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk