Author Topic: 303 id  (Read 13318 times)

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
303 id
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
I don't know if there are any Enfield shooters here, but it's worth a try.  I just picked up some 303 british from a friend.  He said I can put a few rounds down range to decide if I want to buy it or not.  My question is, does anyone happen to know anything about this stuff?  I tried but I can't find anything.

1907 date
Headstamp is a triangle at 1:00 and something I can't quite make out at 11:00
Has anyone shot ammo this old before?  There's no corrosion and the primers all look good.

Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: 303 id
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
Go here and E-Mail Steve Ridgeway about it. Try to include the pics. Steve is an expert on anything and everything concerning the .303 British Enfield and it's ammunition. I'm sure he can help.

http://www.303british.com/

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
Can't help you with the headstamp but if they are fairly old they are most likely loaded with Cordite powder. Found a few at my local range a few years ago and pulled the bullets  to see what the powder was. Long sticks of the stuff.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
THey will be corrosive.  so clean the barrel out with water/windex.  Then dry it out.   do it asap.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
Also, be sure to hang on to those clips. Nice ones are getting hard to find.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:24:44 AM »

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I sent an email to Steve.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
I know nothing about this platform, but just wondering if this has some collector value, if it's truly 100+ years old.  How plentiful are these rounds?  I know of several other pre-WWII examples in other calibers that fetch a high price, especially if the box is present.  Seems like everything older was used up in WWII.
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
Steve emailed me back and said that while the stamp says "1907", it was actually manufactured in 1957 in Iraq. 

I plan on putting a few down range this weekend to make sure they're still good and then paying for them. 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
Since I can't give any facts I will just give you sage old advice:

Let a friend try it first, and if they survive it is all yours  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Since I can't give any facts I will just give you sage old advice:

Let a friend try it first, and if they survive it is all yours  ;)

What are you doing Saturday, buddy?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk