Author Topic: Defensive Shotgun  (Read 11181 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Defensive Shotgun
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
Just wondering the pros and cons of a pistol grip stock on a DS.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Defensive Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
pros---  Possibly a better hold with a pistol grip, but most important is that it scares the crap out of Feinstein and Pelosi   ;D
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
It's easier to shoot one-handed with a pistol grip.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Put a Knoxx stock with the pistol grip on a 870 and a 590.

Stock did a great job of reducing recoil on both.

I was fine with the grip on the 870, but found it made using the tang safety a bit cumbersome on the 590.  

I felt it gives more control handling the shotgun and the recoil.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »
Stock with a pistol grip is great.
Just the pistol grip sux.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:34:51 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
Stock with a pistol grip is great.
Just the pistol grip sux.

And is very, very evil.... according to liberals.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
Personally, I don't think it makes a dimes worth of difference. Unless you're into three gun competion, we're talking across the living room with 'OO buck shot. Any stock will do. Get whatever feels comfortable. For hunting, I prefer a straight stock on a SxS. For HD, whatever works. I have a semi pistol grip on my maverick riot gun and I don't plan on changing it. I mean honestly, how often are you going to shoot the thing? For me, I patterned it, satisfied myself that it will go bang, and that's probably the last time it will be fired unless I need it.  Its a freaking riot gun. No riot (or burglar) I have no use for it. Don't stress over this. Just buy whatever makes you happy. If you are going to shoot skeet or hunt, my answer will differ.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Not frettin', just asking those who have more experience than me.

Thanks,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
And is very, very evil.... according to liberals.

The only redeeming feature of the plain pistol grip .

Personally, I don't think it makes a dimes worth of difference. Unless you're into three gun competion, we're talking across the living room with 'OO buck shot. Any stock will do. Get whatever feels comfortable. For hunting, I prefer a straight stock on a SxS. For HD, whatever works. I have a semi pistol grip on my maverick riot gun and I don't plan on changing it. I mean honestly, how often are you going to shoot the thing? For me, I patterned it, satisfied myself that it will go bang, and that's probably the last time it will be fired unless I need it.  Its a freaking riot gun. No riot (or burglar) I have no use for it. Don't stress over this. Just buy whatever makes you happy. If you are going to shoot skeet or hunt, my answer will differ.

The AR style collapsing stock with pistol grip gives some one hand control while you use the other hand for something like flipping on a light switch, or say, calling 911.
since the stock telescopes it is adjustable for different size shooters or for differences in clothing .
For example extended more during tee shirt weather and shorter for winter jacket etc makes it a must have item for outdoor use..

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
I have pulled the pistol grip full stock from my 870 and replaced it with a standard style youth stock. It works better for me when wearing my plate carrier and also for general work (easier in and out of the vehicle). I have not noticed a down side as yet. I shoot from a "squared "stance so it fits better. To each their own.
Semper Fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk