Author Topic: Coach guns for home defense  (Read 4067 times)

Creeper308

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coach guns for home defense
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Interesting episode on SAS. I have a Stoeger coach gun I use for home defense (I won't go into why this is my preference). I am impressed how quickly SAS shooters can cycle their coach guns.  I'm curious about two things. First, for HD, what are folks’ opinion about modifying my coach to (1) easily eject spent shells, and (2) NOT automatically engage the safety each time the action is cycled?  I’ve heard these are two modification SAS shooters make to shoot faster.  Seems like they could both work for HD as well?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Coach guns for home defense
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
as far as he modifications done to a SxS shotgun for SASS shooting,I honed the chambers to make the shells fall out,beveled the opening to make the reloads faster and took out the auto safety,some of these are do it yourself others should be done by someone who knows what they're doing.Something to remember is that most CAS shooters are using very low powered loads(less than 1000 fps and under 1 ounce of shot) in their guns,I don't know how a High brass load of 00 Buck would do in a modified gun.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
The honing and beveling shouldn't be a problem, but sometime the locking mechanism is loosened up (or it loosens up under wear), which will cause the gun to "pop open" under recoil. In fact, I strongly recommend honing the heck out of defensive double barrels to speed the reloads.

I think coach guns are awesome self-defense tools, especially if you put the time into learnn how to run them fast. I suggest a cheapo bandoleer of extra ammo kept with the gun...

Michael b
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:20 AM »
not to mention, looking at 2 very big holes is alot scaryer the one big hole.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk