Author Topic: Getting Federal primers out of the box  (Read 10368 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Getting Federal primers out of the box
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
Regarding primer sensitivity, the test that I did was with a Ruger gp100.
I had installed a reduced spring kit, which worked very well, but had ignition problems when using the pistol in double action.
Single action I had no failure to fire problems, but with double action I would get 1 or 2 rounds with failure to fire.
I then loaded up with Federal small pistol primers, and had no failures.
But, to not to have problems with CCI primers, I replaced the hammar spring with one that is a 12# spring rather than the 10#
spring.  I don't have a problem now.
That's how I solved the problem. It was definitely spring related, as I did not have the problem with the original springs.
By the way, the Ruger GP100 is the easiest revolver that I ever tuned.

You could have the same type of problem with a semi when using reduced load springs, especially Like I had with my Glock 35.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
Thanks for the details. I have heard similar stories from other folks tuning guns for a light strike. As an engineer I am curious what the industry spec is for primers. I suppose it could all be proprietary details for each brand. I would think there would be a SAMMI spec or equivalent.

After reading different reloading books and their varying speed rankings for powders, it seems the devil is in the details.
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
(See my other thread on Federal Packaging)

I was in the habit with CCI, of just turning the box upside down on my flipper tray and pulling the sleeve away while holding the plastic insert centered over the flipper.  But with Federal, the plastic insert is larger than the flipper.

I've developed after my first 500 the technique of slowly moving the plastic insert as I pull it out of the sleeve so that the primers always fall in the middle of my flipper. 

I'd think there might be a market for a little hopper that you can set the Federal primer box on top, upside down, then pull the sleeve away and they'd all fall right in the hopper.  Then you could pour from the hopper to the flipper tray.

This would be a cheap and easy project for a 3-D printer.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »
Perfect.   DELIGHTFUL, Majer.

I didn't realize somebody already made a square flipper the size of the Federal box.  4"

My rounds ones are all 4" buton the Federal box the opposite corners are 4.75 apart.

Will definitely pick one of these up and retire the round flippers.

Thanks.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:01:36 AM »

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
You're welcome,I am here to assist... ;D ;D ;D
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk