Author Topic: Has anyone tested the TSA waters with the new knife allowance?  (Read 13082 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saw the sign at PDX Monday and I'm flying home tomorrow.  I figure I'll get the extra love and attention from TSA anyway since I'm checking my XDM so I might as well try and carry on my little Kershaw 1760 Skyline.  I do carry a 6" Machinist scale in my bag as well and it measures 3.06" along the blade, which is longer that to the hilt because of the design. 

I'll give a report to let you know how it goes and to see if I need a replacement  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Has anyone tested the TSA waters with the new knife allowance?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
No way in hell I'd trust a knife worth more than five bucks to those idjits. I don't care what the written policy is, its going with the checked bags.

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »
They've changed their minds:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/travel/tsa-knives/index.html

Wow that was quick.  They had a sign up at PDX on my way out here on Monday that said knives under 4" were fine.  Thanks for the heads up, glad I asked.
He who dares wins.  SAS

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »
Do those cold steel zytel knives show up at all on their scanners?
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

Sponsor

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
Do those cold steel zytel knives show up at all on their scanners?

Also, what about ceramic?
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
I've walked through a metal detector with a plastic knife in my pocket and nothing happened. I imagine it would show up on the scanner that shows your naked body.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I've walked through a metal detector with a plastic knife in my pocket and nothing happened. I imagine it would show up on the scanner that shows your naked body.

I'd hide it behind my brass balls, they'd never find it!

;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I'd hide it behind my brass balls, they'd never find it!

;D

;D

I found one of my old X-rays.......

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Peg, those aren't brass but the are BIG enough to hide a very substantial knife!  LOL

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk