Author Topic: Casting bullet questions  (Read 15925 times)

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Casting bullet questions
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »
I started casting a few years ago; Shotgun slugs out of a chicken can melted on a Coleman stove.  I have progressed, now using a cast iron pot on a turkey fryer burner and a ladle.  Last year I cast 15000 9mm and 10000 45acp this way.  I have a couple of tire shops that I get my weights from, and I cast it as is.  You can also buy smelted WW lead off of ebay for just over $1/lb or there about.  There are some places that will sell you ingots for around $3/lb if you want to go that route.

I size in a Lee sizer using White Label Lube.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
I started casting a few years ago; Shotgun slugs out of a chicken can melted on a Coleman stove.  I have progressed, now using a cast iron pot on a turkey fryer burner and a ladle.  Last year I cast 15000 9mm and 10000 45acp this way.  I have a couple of tire shops that I get my weights from, and I cast it as is.  You can also buy smelted WW lead off of ebay for just over $1/lb or there about.  There are some places that will sell you ingots for around $3/lb if you want to go that route.

I size in a Lee sizer using White Label Lube.

How do the bullets cast from straight weights shoot with regard to leading/fouling?
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I ordered some 9 and 38 from the Bullet Works and the Rim Rock site seems good as well so I will give them a test order this weekend.

I may still get around to casting some day as it seems interesting after reading the Lyman book and the sections in the Lee book.

I have been ordering stuff mostly from Midway and mid South and their shelves have been empty for quite a while.

Do you all have any sources for powder? I won't even mention primers... :)

Joe
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
How do the bullets cast from straight weights shoot with regard to leading/fouling?

PegLeg, they are fine.  I have tested the hardness, and it usually comes in around 12 or so.  My CZ's get very little leading, my son's XDm 5.25 got a bit of leading (at the leade and end of the barrel) until I fired about 500 jacketed through it to smooth it out (only shot lead in it from new).  My Sig 1911, also a lead only shooter, gets a little in the throat.  Mind you I am cleaning at 700 to 1000 rounds.  In other words, I get about the same amount of leading (very little) that I also got from buying commercial cast bullets with a BHN of 18.

I have become better over time with the casting, but overall they still are not pretty (compared to commercial).  I did get a WHOLE lot better with the luber. :D  I have the boys do their 9mm size/lube, and they still have a ways to go in that department..
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:52:00 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bidah.... I have thought about using straight weights for a while, just to get started doing my own casting. I have a good friend that runs a tire store and I am in the process of trying to work a deal with him for old weights.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »
OK so with the end of ammo as we know it dragging on, I am looking into casting bullets as a way to cope. I have some questions:

1. What melting and casting equipment do folks use and like or dislike?

2. Where do you get your lead and if you salvage it from a range backstop how do you clean it up and get all the junk out of it?

3. do you resize and what lube do you use?

On your mark, get set, start the thread drift

Joe

1.  Propane fired turkey fryer base with a cast iron dutch oven to render all the crap into useable ingots.  Use a Rowell bottom pour ladle to dip the molten lead out of the dutch oven into ingot moulds I made myself.  Before that I stir the melt with a pine stick.  I suppose it acts like flux.  All the crap that then floats spins around and spins to the middle.  That makes it easier for me to grab any wheelweight clips and other dross with a long handled perforated spoon like you'd see at a cafeteria dishing out green beans.  Then the clean ingots go into my 20 pound RCBS pro melt furnace.  I have only 4 of the Lyman steel 4 banger pistol moulds.

2.  I had a friend who was a mechanic at a Toyota dealership.  He and his girlfriend would shoot a lot of trap and skeet.  I made my own birdshot maker from scratch.  He would bring me 100 pounds in wheelweights, and I would bring 50 pounds of birdshot.  So I kept the other lead for myself.  I am also a member of a gunclub which has like a steel backstopped pit area for bowling pin matches.  I'll scoop the bullets and sand from there.

3.   a Star Lube sizer which I never did get timed just right.  I probably got the holes in the sizing dies drilled in the wrong spot.  But that might not matter if I start powder coating boolits

Now for the thread drift, I used to shoot an IDPA style match every Tuesday night at an indoor range.  My blood lead levels were the highest when I shot there.  I stopped shooting there, picked up casting and making shot, and my lead levels continued to drop.

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I have been recovering lead shot form the back of the trap range.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/8844186134/  Recovered lead

These I cast with an attempt at a rocket stove in a tin can.  I then dump that into a cupcake pan.  This gives me ingots.  These work just fine as long as I do not let my Lee bottom pore pot to get so low that the round "muffins" do not reach the molten lead at the bottom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/8844187302/in/photostream/ Stove
Low budget recovery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/8843564869/ "muffins"

Plus the "muffins" are easy to store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/9433253350/  Castings in 9mm and 45

Sorry I cannot get the post pictures to work from Flickr.

I do have to say that the recovery is a lot of work and time, but it keeps me out of trouble.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
I've been thinking about taking the plunge and start casting my own because I just can't afford the $100 a month it would take to shoot just a 1000 rounds.  The thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger, pun intended  ;D, is I don't have a lead source-locally.  My son used to work at a tire store that catered to farmers but in MT.  I try to coerce them into bringing a bucket down, or two/three/ten, when ever my family comes down but so far it hasn't panned out.  230 LRN are 35 per pound, I can buy 500 for about $50. So to buy lead and make 500 is just over $14 at a buck a pound-not bad but not free either.

If/when I do pull the trigger I'll go the tumble lube way because of the price of a luber, they are awefully proud of their stuff-not as much as the swagers though. :o
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk