Author Topic: Redhawk story  (Read 15217 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Redhawk story
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »
I've never been a fan of the Redhawk.  Thought it was ugly.   I do know how strong it is and appreciate that.  Just never had a reason to need that strength.  However, I still enjoyed the story.  Well told.  Especially impressed with seeing David Mamet on there.  A lot of shooters may not realize how big a celebrity he is in the performing arts world.

Also impressed with how much Joe M was shown shooting.

Now maybe I missed it, but with all the talk about how strong it is and how great the cylinder lockup is, I don't remember ever seeing the left side of the gun.   Every time it was panned it showed the right side.   All the shots of it being shot were from the right side.  I'd think with all the time talking about its great lockup that at least a few seconds of video might have been spent showing us the left side and how the lock works.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Redhawk story
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »
 Really enjoyed the Redhawk story, I bought an early model a few years back that has been sleeping in my safe far too long, I guess it needs to visit the range. The only thing I may change is sights, fiber optics both front and rear.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
damn another gun to buy! :)
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
I've long held a great deal of respect for Alfsuave for both his knowledge about guns, and his great willingness to share that knowledge.  So it is with some surprise that I read his comments about my own favorite gun:  the Ruger Redhawk.

I purchased my Redhawk many years ago specifically because I wanted a .44mag, and I because liked the looks of the Ruger.  I may well have bought an S&W (Dirty Harry remains a favorite movie) but I did not have the excess funds required.  Aftergetting to know myRedhawk,I have come to believe buying the S&W would have been a costly error.

My Redhawk is fashioned in stainless and I think it is one of the best looking wheel guns ever made.  Each aspect of the Redhawk has been executed with a careful nod to function and a fine eye for beauty.  There is nothing gaudy or superfluous.  There are no really harsh angles.  The crane is amazingly strong.  The cylinder is a work or art executed with tremendous strength in beauty.  The lock-up is as firm as solid steel. In short, what's not to like?

If the complaint was just about not seeing the other side of the gun, well, I can understand that.  More is certainly better than less when viewing the Redhawk.

And to Alf, all I can say is this:  Pick one up;  take it to the range;  throw some lead at some targets. Then, I think you too will fall in love with the Redhawk. 

Respectfully,

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
I can only speak of the two Ruger wheel guns I've owned.  An old Blackhawk and my SP-101.  If the Redhawk is much the same as the SP-101, it's a damn fine wheel gun and I'd be proud to buy one if I had a need or want.

I also have a love of the deep blued and polished classic S&W wheel guns but they're all fit with the infernal internal and that kills it for me...can't get by their caving to the MA restrictions...a damn shame!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:35:28 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
I'm humbled, CR, and I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just never like the lines of the REdhawk. It's a personal thing. As I said I've always respected Ruger's for their strength. My first two revolvers were Ruger.

What I was trying to convey, rather poorly, was it was a great show,  With the only nit being the lack of shots of the left side if the gun.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:12 AM »
 While I find the look of mine pleasing the current short barrel with a tube out front style just looks wrong even if it makes a better scope platform.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
I like my Ruger Redhawk, its one of my goto fun guns.
It never fails to make people who use it smile.
Mine is from the original year of production which was brought off a fellow club member when he decided to get out of shooting.
If only guns could talk it would tell many stories, it would tell of the time my elderly father (now deceased) fired it, the look on his face was priceless.
It would tell of the countless people who visited the range using it and then deciding that they too should join a club and get a pistol licence.
No doubt it will continue to tell many stories long after I am gone, because Ruger Redhawks are made just that damn well.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk