Author Topic: DRR 334 Africa.  (Read 13851 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DRR 334 Africa.
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
Amazing Podcast. Definitely my favorite thus far. Theatre of the mind. I could almost feel the heat, smell the sand and bacon. So looking forward to seeing it on Shooting Gallery. Excellent work Michael, you lucky SOB!
He who dares wins.  SAS

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: DRR 334 Africa.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
+1000

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

marzie

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Amazing Podcast. Definitely my favorite thus far. Theatre of the mind. I could almost feel the heat, smell the sand and bacon. So looking forward to seeing it on Shooting Gallery. Excellent work Michael, you lucky SOB!

+1  I've listened to it 3 times already, and that's exactly how I feel.

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Great podcast, MB. I really enjoyed hearing how much fun you had as it makes me think back to my first time to Africa (to RSA, not Namibia like you). But the excitement and awe of being in Africa was the same. And it was great to hear you suggest to others to go investigate a hunt into Africa as it really is quite affordable. You can spend more on a guided moose or brown bear hunt, or a trophy deer hunt down here in TX. Sorry, I'll take an exotic trip to the Dark Continent where there are more varied critters plus the ability to take more animals and *still* be cheaper than a domestic hunt. The only issue is that your taxidermy bill will be higher. ;D

The food is great (but I drank beer, not gin and tonics in camp), the PHs are friendly and are very much like us as far as joking around and having fun once they know you're not going to be butthead just because you're a paid client who thinks that they deserve to be waited on. Our PH gave elaborate info on the local flora and fauna which added to the trip. It's hard to describe to someone who's not been how much fun it is but those who have gone almost never go only once!

Sean LeMasters

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »
And it was great to hear you suggest to others to go investigate a hunt into Africa as it really is quite affordable. You can spend more on a guided moose or brown bear hunt, or a trophy deer hunt down here in TX.

My wife and I went to South Africa in May and had an absolutely great time! Everyone we talked to after we got back was so surprised at how little the trip actually cost us. One of my co-workers had received an email quote for a guided elk hunt in Idaho while we were in Africa. Without airfare the elk hunt would cost him $9500 per person, if we had paid full price (I got a screaming deal at a Whitetails Unlimited banquet) our two person hunt would have cost about the same after the airfare! South Africa is such a beautiful country and the variety of animals completely surprised my wife, she had as much fun photographing my hunt and the animals as I had hunting. We had such an amazing time that my wife , a non-hunter, wants to go back in a few years and try for a Kudu! Listing to the podcast and someone else's take on the experience only made the desire to return that much stronger.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:10:53 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:25 AM »
My wife and I went to South Africa in May and had an absolutely great time! Everyone we talked to after we got back was so surprised at how little the trip actually cost us. One of my co-workers had received an email quote for a guided elk hunt in Idaho while we were in Africa. Without airfare the elk hunt would cost him $9500 per person, if we had paid full price (I got a screaming deal at a Whitetails Unlimited banquet) our two person hunt would have cost about the same after the airfare! South Africa is such a beautiful country and the variety of animals completely surprised my wife, she had as much fun photographing my hunt and the animals as I had hunting. We had such an amazing time that my wife , a non-hunter, wants to go back in a few years and try for a Kudu! Listing to the podcast and someone else's take on the experience only made the desire to return that much stronger.

Welcome to the Forum Sean.
Any chance of posting some of those pictures ?

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
MB hinted there might be an African hunt up for grabs for some lucky individual!!!!! 

Whooopeeeeeee

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sean LeMasters

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »
Any chance of posting some of those pictures ?

Sure thing, I'll post a few after work tonight.
Do they need to be hosted on another site or can the be posted directly here?

marzie

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
This could just be user error, but when I tried to post pictures directly to here using the controls on the "new post" page (click "additional options" at the bottom,) I kept violating the image size limit (300KB), which most modern digital cameras will do.  You would have to modify the resolution and shrink the picture or host it somewhere else.  There is also a 6 picture limit when using the built in controls. If I am doing it wrong, anyone else can step in and set him straight.

I definitely want to see your Africa pictures too, so I hope this doesn't discourage you!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
Most of us use Photobucket because it's simple .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk