Author Topic: Recoil Reducing Stocks  (Read 12263 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recoil Reducing Stocks
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I"m wondering what are the top 3 recoil reducing stocks for shotguns. I've got this Mossy 500 and I'd like for Maggie to be able to spend some range time with it. Set up stock, though, it's got too much recoil for her, but we'd like to use it in the HD arsenal.

I'd like to get the most recoil reduction for the least money. We're not big on pistol grips, but we might be able to tolerate that.

Has anyone found a noticable difference in recoil with one of these, or maybe someone has tried a couple of them?  I've heard reports that some can make a shotty feel like an AR, but I'm sure that not ALL of those products can do that.

Just looking for some 1st hand advice.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
Re: Recoil Reducing Stocks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
Jay,
I know some people can't handle recoiled but if you are going to get a new stock get one that adjusts. I cut my wife's 12ga. down to fit her and had her stand up straight and lean into the gun rather than back, she now can handle even three inch mag's. An adjustable stock will fit both of you. Hope this helps. If you try it let me know.
Monty,

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »
Try adding a "Dead Mule"
 (Go here)
 http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-reducers/100-straight-dead-mule-recoil-reducer-prod6809.aspx

They work well without having to make any external modification to the stock.Add a good recoil pad and she'll be a happy shooter
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Teh Dead Mule fits in a 7/8" bolt hole, but I've got the plastic stock. It would just flop around inside there I think.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
I had the Knoxx M4 style. I loved the telescoping stock.
I did not like the change in the recoil impulse.
instead of a push on your shoulder it tries to pull the fore end out of your hand .

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:25:06 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
Teh Dead Mule fits in a 7/8" bolt hole, but I've got the plastic stock. It would just flop around inside there I think.

A friend of mine fills all the dead space on his synthetic buttstocks (shotguns and rifles) with lead shot, and then replaces the recoil pad.
On one shotgun he added a mag extension and put a weight in there also.

Porting might help and is relatively cheap.

Combine this with lower-recoil loads (almost all mfg's make them now) and it might make a difference.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

http://www.gunworld.com/buyers-guides/taming-the-tiger-some-innovative-ways-reduce-12-gauge-recoil/
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Fit is every thing, I'd rather have a gun that fit right with no pad then one that fit badly and had the best in the world.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:31 AM »
A friend of mine fills all the dead space on his synthetic buttstocks (shotguns and rifles) with lead shot, and then replaces the recoil pad.
On one shotgun he added a mag extension and put a weight in there also.

Porting might help and is relatively cheap.

Combine this with lower-recoil loads (almost all mfg's make them now) and it might make a difference.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil.htm

http://www.gunworld.com/buyers-guides/taming-the-tiger-some-innovative-ways-reduce-12-gauge-recoil/
Didn't he end up with a bunch of 25 pound guns?

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
Didn't he end up with a bunch of 25 pound guns?

Not really....... It wasn't as heavy as you would think.... the space isn't that big.
I believe he kept tinkering with the forward weight (different materials) to get the balance right.

But then again, weight is subjective...... what isn't that heavy to me might feel like a ton to others.

I tend to favor a heavier gun myself...... seems to steady better...... TAB pretty much nailed it though, fit is more critical than anything.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »
Here's another option. Buy her a pachmeyer recoil pad. They strap on like a shoulder holster and work wonders. I used one for skeet shooting, high volume dove hunts and playing with my very light .270, which packs a wallop when you're shooting a box or two. No bruises, no soreness and its so light you don't know its there. It will make her comfy on the range, and if she has to use it for real she won't feel the recoil. They're only about thirty bucks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk