Author Topic: Smoked Salt... it's good!  (Read 8964 times)

bigfatguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smoked Salt... it's good!
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
You can find it for sale online in up to 5 lb bags, there's a huge variety of flavors and types and prices, but basically it's salt that has been smoked til it almost turns black.

I tend to like the really over-done ones, with names like "Bonfire", that just smell like the house burned down around them.

Too lazy (as I often am) to stoke a smoker all night? Cooking a pork shoulder in the oven? (as I often do...) just coat the outside in smoked salt, and then finish with a bit more after pulling... it really hides the fact that you're a lazy city-dwelling Yankee.:-)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Smoked Salt... it's good!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »
Is it any good on pop corn?
  :D

You know, I bet that would work great in the salt water brine recipes for chicken and other stuff...soak overnight in it
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

bigfatguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Re: Smoked Salt... it's good!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
The only problem is, I find cooking it lessens the smoke flavor...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
I ran across something similar this kind of product sometime back. It's is produced in Hawaii and called Hawaiian Sea Salt.  Sprinkled over pork ribs, chops or roasts, the results are spectacular.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:19:45 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
I ran across something similar this kind of product sometime back. It's is produced in Hawaii and called Hawaiian Sea Salt.  Sprinkled over pork ribs, chops or roasts, the results are spectacular.

Crusader Rabbit

Ah, yes, Hawaiian Sea Salt. Now with more whale poop and fish pee!!!    ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk