Author Topic: Uh Oh. A Berdan primed .45ACP  (Read 11763 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Uh Oh. A Berdan primed .45ACP
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
I'm accustomed to finding .45 ACP cases with small pistol primers, but the press hit something hard last night.   Looky, looky.  A Berdan primed case.  An old look military head stamp.

Fortunately, I didn't break the de-priming pin.  (I have extras on hand though, just in case.)

Of course this is what you get when you use floor sweepings.  Oh well, one in every couple of thousand isn't a bad price to pay for free brass.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
Re: Uh Oh. A Berdan primed .45ACP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
Is the headstamp obvious enough to catch when inspecting if you are thinking about it?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »
The headstamp is just a PMC stamp with some numbers.  Well worn, but not distinguished enough to pick out while reloading.    I'm sure there must be others in my stash of floor sweepings.  It'll probably be easier to glance inside each case as I pick it up to put in the press.

Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
Wonder if I can teach the case feeder to double check for me  ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
Wonder if I can teach the case feeder to double check for me  ::)

Who is your case feeder?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:28:24 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
Who is your case feeder?

My question, too.

I have to do my own, so I train up pretty easily.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
For a nominal fee, Dillon has this really cool toy.  Dump it full, flip the switch, and away you go.  Keep the powder and primers full, set the bullets in place, and pray the callus on your hand holds up.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
I though they were bigger then other primers?  Might not be enough for me to  tell them apart with the naked eye.  Cases feeders are awesome, add a bullet feeder( there are few on the market) and it will crank them out fast. I can do about 2k a hour with the 1050 and bullet feeder.  Even stoping and checking  every 25 or so with a case guage and scale.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:18:15 AM »
For a nominal fee, Dillon has this really cool toy.

I don't know, $254 just doesn't seem "nominal".
Will work for ammo

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »
I have a case feeder for my 650, but I was thinking about it and bullet feeders.

The expensive part of both of them is the hopper with the rotating plate to align and drop the case/bullet into the feed tube.

The mechanics at the shell plate end would not be that expensive.

If you were to route the shell feed tube to the left side of the press, maybe a foot above the mount, you might be able to get a series of small bends in the case feed tube so that you could manually drop cases into the tube with your left hand.  

Same with the bullet feed tube except it is already on the left side, so it would be a straight drop.

A belled mouth at the top of each tube would allow you to drop bullets/cases in with out much precision.  

The tubes could hold 10 or so bullet/cases depending on length of the item.

While feeding bullets/cases into the tube mouths would be manual, it would not be such a precision operation as placing them correctly on the shell plate.  

Also, since the tubes hold a quantity of the items, timing would not be important.  You could add them while the piston was moving up or down which would not require stopping of the process for manual insertion.

Maybe without the support and hopper for the bullet feeder there would be room to reach around behind the press to manual feed cases into a straight drop tube.

You should be able to buy just the lower mechanics for the case feeder system from Dillon, and probably for a bullet feeder also.

Thoughts?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk