Author Topic: Advice on Building the LIGHTEST POSSIBLE AR  (Read 19845 times)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on Building the LIGHTEST POSSIBLE AR
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
FYI

Palmetto State Armory has stripped lowers for $49.  I don't think I ever saw them that cheap even before things went crazy.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
The combination of a GWACS Armory CAV-15 lower and MAG Tactical Systems upper looks like the best choice for light weight so far. Personally I think I'd go with forged aluminum and try to save weight elsewhere like the barrel.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
You mean instead of GWACS?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
I may very well be wrong but I was thinking the CAV-15 lower should be a couple ounces lighter because it has fewer pieces.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
GWAKS claims it drops a whole pound off the rifle! Another thing I'm starting to like about it is simplicity. When Maggie looks at it she'll see the one piece, not a bunch of parts that look like they might need to be dealt with in some way. Just a cleaner look

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:50:40 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »
OK Jay, where are you on the project now?  Palmetto State had stripped MagTactical lowers for $90 last weekend.

Edit---Mag Tactical has uppers for sale again.  They sell a complete rifle weighing 4.8 pounds. http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/rifles/product/231-air-15-recon#specs
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:22 AM »
Rastus, I'm NOWHERE  on the build so far. Family things and taxes are slowing down the whole process, but I'm still looking around. I really appreciate the input.

www.bluebone.net

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/113400445350530/photos/a.397125883644650.97619.113400445350530/766564206700814/?type=1

Aero is taking input on interest for a production run of skeletonized lowers right now. Definately not for me but certainly interesting.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Wow. The Mag Tactical is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the Carbon15 with an aluminum upper. I didn't think anything that light was possible.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
And twice as expensive!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk