Author Topic: Handguard Selection  (Read 8646 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Handguard Selection
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »
Here is a decent write-up from Brownells on handguard lengths and selections for AR rifles. It may be well-known info for some, but it also might help those who are new to the AR rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=16408/GunTechdetail/Selecting-An-AR-15-Handguard-Part-1-Gas-Systems

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

Re: Handguard Selection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
I'm looking forward to the next part.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to the next part.

Same here.

Brownells does some pretty good tech series articles.

I think there is an old thread on their 1911 tech info.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »
I know their "AR Builder" was a big help .

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
always go with a full float tube if possible...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:45:53 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
That Brownell's information is great.  I like mid-length so I can reach further down the barrel which for me makes for a steadier and quicker center of mass type shop.

I also disdain quad rails.   The dang things catch on everything and I know you can put appliance in them to make it slick but I like the hand guards where that allow a person to attach a piece of rail of varying length where they want it.   

I like the free float barrels for accuracy but...in an M4 configuration for center of mass type shots out to say 200 yards would you not be better off with something a bit sturdier?

Just my 2 cents.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Funny you mention not liking the quad rail handguards........

I just finished installing an aluminum quad handguard on my DPMS carbine this afternoon. This was a low cost unit, but is very well made and sturdy. It came with a dozen snap-over rail covers and they are very snug. I like the feel so far, but not having shot with this set up, I reserve the right to change my mind after so doing.  ;D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Rastus... I'm not sure I understand your meaning of sturdier...sturdier grip, or sturdier construction.... I've added a section of 1913 rail to the bottom of my RRA full float... use a vertical fore grip, but only as a hand stop as I grip as far down the guard as comfortable, and index with a pointed finger much as I do with a shot gun... pic if my primary in the cart

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:35 AM »
Rastus... I'm not sure I understand your meaning of sturdier...<snip>

Something that can be banged around on the floor in the back of a pickup and dropped on a log/rock/whatever without eventually working and compromising the single attachment point.

May be silly of me....but there you go.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
sorry, I can't answer that... 3 gun is harder on the equipment, than just range use... I transport in a padded bag, and on a cart... the RRA has dropped out of racks a couple of times by accident... shot all six of the Ft Benning matches, and some of the positions  were pretty hard on the fore end... my sling attachment is on it also... the RRA tube is  1/8"... my backup is a ARMS rail from the prize table at Ft Benning, and uses a regular barrel nut, and the rail is clamped to the barrel nut... this might be a better option for heavier duty use

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk