Author Topic: New Carry Piece ??  (Read 9164 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Carry Piece ??
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »
Hi all. 

I am going to buy a new carry piece.  It is going to be a snubby and I have to stay inexpensive.

I have been looking hard at the Charter Arms offerings but am having trouble making a final decision.

1st.  Charter because of price and (I have heard) reliability.

2nd.  I am planning to carry this via Barami grips.

So here is where I am.

38sp Undercover, 5 shot 16 oz.

38sp Police Undercover, 6 shot, 20 oz

44sp Bulldog, 5 shot, 22 oz.

They have a VERY light 38sp Undercover Lite that is only 12 oz but is is aluminum (any thoughts on this?).

I think the 22 oz is starting to push the weight BUT it is a 44.

So, any and all experiences and opinions welcome.

THANKS!!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: New Carry Piece ??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
I have never owned a Charter, so I personally can't comment on them.  I have heard both good and bad about them.  Jeff Quinn over at gunblast.com has given them good reviews, as has John Taffin in Guns magazine.  Have you considered buying a used Ruger SP101?  I have seen them sell used for about what a new Charter Arms would cost you.  I just bought a used one a couple of months ago for $340, and it looks like a new gun. 
Life Member of the NRA

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:04:33 PM »
I am in the same position on the Charter Arms, I only know what I have read. I have shot the Ruger SP101. Rock solid and reliable if a bit on the heavy side. Being in the same position of forced economy, I would check out what Taurus has to offer. The model 85  in .38 special with which I am familiar has served well with over 6000 rounds through it, most hot loads, and no problems. My Model 65 in .357mag is the same as are two others now traded away. They have a lifetime warranty but I have never needed to make use of it.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
Hi Cfarmer,

Welcome.  What I am about to say may sound blasphemous but I am not a Taurus fan.  Friend has had two that broke.  Yes they fixed them but just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Gunman,

I am a Ruger fan but I want something lighter (that's why I am hesitant on the 44sp).

THANKS for the input.  Keep it coming.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:53:46 PM »
Howdy, Many years ago I had a Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 rim fire. It was a very good pistol for the money, It shot well with most ammo and never broke. I sold it for what I paid for if about 5 years after I bought it. The only reason I sold it was because my Wife wanted a pistol that held more rounds and I found a S&W 422 for the same price I sold the Charter for. Yes I still have the S&W. and No, My Wife never shot it because she doesn't like autos ::)
 The newer versions of the Charter Arms look like they are well made and should be a decent firearm, But I guess only time will tell.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:21:48 PM »

1911-45

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
Hi Cfarmer,

Welcome.  What I am about to say may sound blasphemous but I am not a Taurus fan.  Friend has had two that broke.  Yes they fixed them but just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Gunman,

I am a Ruger fan but I want something lighter (that's why I am hesitant on the 44sp).

THANKS for the input.  Keep it coming.

Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" .357 mag! :P VERY ACCURATE ;D It is a little heavy (26oz.) because it is well made!  ;)
Shoot Safe!
Shoot Straight!

Rock44

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »
I have heard from various people that those Barami grips are not all that good.I would do some research on them before I would shell out the bucks.IMHO

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
I have heard from various people that those Barami grips are not all that good.I would do some research on them before I would shell out the bucks.IMHO

I've used them on two different revolvers. I recommend them if you choose to carry without a holster. I do pocket carry now but still have the grips. I need to get another revolver for them.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Rock44

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »
I have never used one myself,but you are willing to buy another revolver for them so you must like them,or at least thats what your telling the wife ;) ;D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
I've got a Bulldog .44 and a SP-101, among other snubs...

Like Jeff Quinn and John Taffin, I'm a fan of the Bulldog (and the new AMERICAN RIFLEMAN review). Hey, it's not an S&W (or even a Taurus) in terms of finish, but I have put 1000 rounds of .44 Specials through mine, including 250-grain heavy bullet loads that the manufacturer doesn't recommend, and it works fines. It is what it is...if you want to shoot 25-yard groups, get and S&W...or a Taurus...I believe Walt Rauch told me he got some ot the best snubby groups in his career from a 9mm little bitty Taurus.

I just like the heck out of that big fat bullet!!! I use Winchester 200-grain SilverTips, one of the baseline great self-defense loads.

While it's a wonderful gun, I've always blown hot and cold and the SP-101. If it was in .44 Special, I'd be singing its praises to high heaven. But it's in .357 maggie, and it barks. I just sent mine to Grant Cunningham (http://www.grantcunningham.com/index.html) for an overhaul. He swears I'll be totally crazy about the gun when I get it back...BTW, Grant has a GREAT BLOG (http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog.html). I'm going to get it linked up here on DOWN RANGE to make it easy for you!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk