Author Topic: Seattle: Mayor moves to ban guns with executive order  (Read 17484 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Seattle: Mayor moves to ban guns with executive order
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »
is he in charge of said property?    if yes, then he does have the authority  to dictate policy with in the bounds of the law

And therein lies the rub.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »
The mayor may do what the owners of the property allow him to do, within the bounds of the law. He is an employee. No?
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
THE SUSPECT HAS A HISTORY OF DRUG ABUSE AND MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS. YET LAST YEAR HE WAS ISSUED A CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT.

I don't know the Washington state gun laws but this guy sounds like, if he had documented "drug abuse and mental health problems," he probably wouldn't qualify for a carry permit in most states.  Perhaps the Washington state process is flawed.  Leave it to a politician to over generalize and focus on the wrong end of the problem.  If there is a problem with one there must be a problem with all.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 12:45:11 AM »
From the article:

WORKMAN: "When the state legislature adopted what we call state pre–emption back in the early 1980s it put that power, that authority solely in the hands of the legislature which means the city of Seattle, or the city of Tacoma, Grays Harbor, Bellingham, pick a city, they can't set up their own gun laws that are any more strict than the state standard."

After thoroughly checking my thinking cap then re-reading for confirmation of my reading comprehension I have come to the conclusion that the fine mayor of Seattle is in violation of the state constitution.  TAB, you lost again.  The problem is not with the gun, it is with the user.  Substitute hammer for gun in this or any story and see the utter futility of thought that it would take to believe that the mayor of Seattle has a sane idea with his "plan" for public safety.   

Stop.  Breathe Deeply.  Think don't feel.  (There is a theme in here somewhere.)
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
wait so its wrong for a properity owner to control what is allowed on thier properity?

if you say yes, tell me when you want me to drop off a drum or two of hazmat.

From the article:

WORKMAN: "When the state legislature adopted what we call state pre–emption back in the early 1980s it put that power, that authority solely in the hands of the legislature which means the city of Seattle, or the city of Tacoma, Grays Harbor, Bellingham, pick a city, they can't set up their own gun laws that are any more strict than the state standard."

After thoroughly checking my thinking cap then re-reading for confirmation of my reading comprehension I have come to the conclusion that the fine mayor of Seattle is in violation of the state constitution.  TAB, you lost again.  The problem is not with the gun, it is with the user.  Substitute hammer for gun in this or any story and see the utter futility of thought that it would take to believe that the mayor of Seattle has a sane idea with his "plan" for public safety.  

Stop.  Breathe Deeply.  Think don't feel.  (There is a theme in here somewhere.)

Yes, there is a theme here,    

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:53:35 PM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
is he in charge of said property?    if yes, then he does have the authority  to dictate policy with in the bounds of the law. 

Your skull can't possibly be that thick. Like playing Devil's advocate, do you?

Then please try to have a reasonable argument in place instead of some half baked nonsense. 
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
Your skull can't possibly be that thick. Like playing Devil's advocate, do you?

Then please try to have a reasonable argument in place instead of some half baked nonsense. 

I'm not playing devils advocate.   I truely beleave that a property owner( or some one in charge of said property) right to restrict what comes onto and happends on thier property.  Since you don't have to go on that property, his right, trumps your rights.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »
I'm not playing devils advocate.   I truely beleave that a property owner( or some one in charge of said property) right to restrict what comes onto and happends on thier property.  Since you don't have to go on that property, his right, trumps your rights.

You should take a class on civics, the mayor does not OWN the town so your argument is assinine

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
You should take a class on civics, the mayor does not OWN the town so your argument is assinine

He is in charge of it... thats no diffrent then a property manger, the owners of said property gave him power over it when they elected him. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
Please re-read the article.  He does not have the authority according to the state law.  He, the mayor, has overstepped his authority.  It would be roughly the equivalent of a sheriff from another state writing a traffic ticket,"because something needed to be done".
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk