Author Topic: 22LR ammo  (Read 12201 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: 22LR ammo
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
I found a fifty round box of Thunderbolt in my shed a few years back.  It had to have been from the seventies and kept in the original box in a dank, damp place.

I shot all fifty rounds without a problem.

It's a good thing it was Thunderbolt, not Lightning. That stuff was crap. It's listed for sale online several places, but when I look, it's Champion, not Lightning. Most of them say Lightning Champion or Champion Lightning, but show a box that just says Champion.

I just read some reviews on the Champion ammo and most weren't very good. One person was having jam after jam in a Ruger 10/22 that worked great with any other ammo they tried, and people are having several other problems with it, like several duds that won't even fire with a second strike, several low power rounds per box, failures to eject, and more. I guess it really is Lightning rebranded.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Great Price Re: 22LR ammo
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »
Palmetto State Armory.  Get it while you can.  Free shipping on 5 boxes or more.

Federal .22 Long Rifle 36gr Copper Plated HP Champion Ammunition, 525 Rounds  $19.99 a box...less than 4 cents a round.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/federal-22lr-36gr-copper-plated-hp-525rd-value-pack.html
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »
After all the bad reviews I saw elsewhere I don't think I'll ever buy Champion .22 ammo. Even some of the good reviews at the above link didn't sound that good to me.

Here's a 4 star review.

22LR target rounds
Inexpensive, clean firing, reliable, not many misfires. Would recommend this for anyone into plinking targets. Will purchase again

Another 4 star review.

free shipping made me order this

When did not many misfires become "reliable" and a good enough reason for 4 out of 5 stars?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
They worked great for me.  Not the highest level but the price was good.  I use it for training and for that I think it is excellent because it is copper swashed and not just a lead head.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
Wideners has a good price on 22LR in large quantity.

4.4 cents a round for bulk Remington and Federal 22LR.

https://www.wideners.com/rimfire/22-lr-ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:13:07 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
At Rimfire Challenge, there were numerous mis-fires.  In fact it was noticeable to several in my squad that by the end of the day I was the only one with zero problems.  Even Tim Norris had one with Fiocchi (which I think is made by CCI) 1 out of 300 isn't acceptable in competition. 

I'll stick with CCI Standard Vel. for everything and pay a little more for the accuracy and dependability. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
Alf...try a box of CCI Green Tag, it shoots about 1/2 the size groups that CCI Standard does in my M41... the mental game is king at a match.... knowing you have the most accurate ammo is a great confidence builder... a couple of cents more a round is inconsequential compared to the overall cost of a match

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
Alf, I probably wouldn't use the bulk stuff for a competition.  The only Ruger Rimfire I ever shot in was in Tulsa and I used the CCI ammo just to avoid a misfire.  Competition is no place to cheap out...

Les, I'll have to try that Green Tag some day.  And you are right, being squared away between the ears is most important even if the difference may be negligible.

All this having been said...I like the 4.4 cents a round price for plinkers.  I thought we'd never see it again. 

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »
Well, at $195 this Federal Champion 22 LR 36 Grain CPHP - 5250 Rounds is a price I can't beat anywhere.  It's at Wideners right now. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk