Author Topic: what is the best 7.62 x 39 rifle for the money?  (Read 28059 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: what is the best 7.62 x 39 rifle for the money?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »
How about a Yugo 59/66 with bayonet and launcher for 170.00.  Good buy?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »
The Yugo would definitly be the best bang for the buck. TAPCO has some goodies to dress it up.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »
what is a WASR and what is the difference?

Its basically a model number...WASR stands for Wassenaar Arrangement Semi-automatic Rifle which is a Romanian variant of the AK. If you look at the side of the WASR receiver...it does not have "dimples" to stabilize the magazine (so there's quite a bit of slop). Most of the ones you find were imported as single-stack 10 round "sporter" rifles, then the importer opened up the mag well and added the appropriate number of compliance parts to make them legal.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »
While this topic has been hashed and rehashed on several threads, many members who don't actually own a 7.62X39 rifle may have stocked up on a few tins of ammo as a Hillery hedge, and now need guidance, but are old, and cant remember the advice..

My pencil is ready- to help the old guys.
In their behalf, thanks, Mac.

Ericire12, if the SKS is the hot setup, why is it obsolete now? Not arguin', just askin'?

The SKS was designed as a CYA incase the AK did not work as promised. The only reason it is considered obselete is because it was never designed for full auto, and does not have  (standard) a detachable box magazine. Full auto is not a consideration for most of us as even our AK's are semi, and there are after market adapters that allow the SKS to accept 30 round detachable magspersonaly I prefer the streamlined 10 round mag as it is more compact for storage. The other draw back to the SKS is that the issue stock sucks. However, after market stocks are available for around $50.  Average SKS $250 Fiberforce stock $52, Mag adapter $25 mags about $25 each.

I've got one of the Romanian WASR-10, cool gun, had to learn to strip it down. Made for peasants, apparently have a college degree dumbs you down enough to have trouble re-assembling it.

Looks cool at twilight shooting, very neat muzzle flash. I ended up watching it and not the target - that cool. Note to self - do not use at night after TEOTWAWKI.

I also have my eye on one of the STG-2000 - all plastic and metal, no wood, looks like an updated AK but I don't know for sure. I think they were German originally.

I bought an StG 2000, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but it has the best trigger I have ever had on a Military style rifle. It is a Cugir receiver with furniture and sights set up to replicate a late model East German AK clone, The sling is kind of funky but stock length is great for a European, as opposed to the usual short AK stock. I'm very happy with the way it handles and will post more info when I get it to the range.

How about a Yugo 59/66 with bayonet and launcher for 170.00.  Good buy?

YES, However the very first thing I would do is remove the bayonet and grenade launcher as they are useless weight.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 06:15:52 AM »
I bought an StG 2000, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but it has the best trigger I have ever had on a Military style rifle.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. Beware of the dreaded AK trigger slap. Part of the recoil is directed through the trigger, and it is tiring to shoot. If you get a straight AK, put a piece of clear plastic tubing over the trigger or get one of the after market triggers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:51:27 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »
Ah, thanks for reminding me. Beware of the dreaded AK trigger slap. Part of the recoil is directed through the trigger, and it is tiring to shoot. If you get a straight AK, put a piece of clear plastic tubing over the trigger or get one of the after market triggers.

StG has a Tapco "No Slap" trigger.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
As mentioned an SKS is a great "bang for your buck." AK-47's are too, especially if you get a higher quality one. They cost more, but you get more too. Romanian AK's are more popular and more prevelante right now. They are also cheaper. Yugo AK's cost more and don't have "magazine wobble", like most others. They usually have thinker recievers and handguards, etc. Yugo SKS are good. Most of them, as well as most SKS's in general, are decent and seem to shoot about the same. Usually, 1.5 to 4 moa etc. A good AK-47 will shoot with a great SKS at 100 yds if it is a "good quality AK", otherwise most AK won't be as accurate. Different grades of 7.62x39 mm ammo will make a difference in either gun. I would get whichever I could afford and liked the most. Both are tough as nails and both will last and work with little care. Don't forget to buy lots of ammo!  :)

TFox2112

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the input, all! I am gathering that there are fans of both rifles and that  both are fairly good quality. I am leaning toward the AK, and will post pics of whichever I decide on.
NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 09:09:35 AM »
TFox2112,
              Take you "End of the world..." Bushmaster and when the time comes, shoot the guy with the AK and take his. :o

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »
Okay, I had my fun. ;D

I would stick with the AK series.  I would also caution against going the cheap route.  Even the trusty AK design can be screwed up with cheap manufacturing. 

I think the StG 2000 might be a very solid choice.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk