Author Topic: Chilli - Adapt to your wishes  (Read 8135 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Chilli - Adapt to your wishes
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »

Chilli

8 quart kettle - Make a lot, because like all soups and stews it is better with age - Bring on the left overs!

3 lbs meat of your choice:  Beef, lamb, mutton, pork, venison, bear ... it doesn't matter except I can't see fish (go jambalaya, gumbo or a boil if you want fins) and real men don't dump bird in this pot.
Adobo Seasoning (Mexican version of Lawrys)
Black pepper
Kosher salt
Chilli powder
1 large yellow onion
3 ribs celery
5 cloves garlic
2 28oz cans or 2 qts diced or crushed tomatoes
1 qt homemade chicken stock
1 qt water (better to start with it thin and cook down to thickness than to start lean and burn)
2 15oz cans of kidney beans

Brown meat, season with Adobo, black pepper and salt, add celery and onions.  Heat until onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes, chilli powder, chicken stock and water.
Bring to boil and simmer two hours minimum (I like to start early in the day, and after half an hour of boil I put in the oven at 225 f for several hours).
Remove from oven, bring back to boil and add beans.  Boil for 15 - 30 minutes.

Note:
Seasonings are all done to taste.  For Audrey I need to refrain from too much, so I use 2 T of chilli powder (I tell her 1T, but she can handle 2 if she doesn't know - 3 T and I'm in trouble).

Beans can be omitted and replaced with meat, but I use this to maximize the grocery dollar.

I prefer dried beans and soaking them prior to use, but most people quit listening to me when I start a recipe with "The night before put beans in boiling water and set aside to soak overnight."

My preferred additions when the kettle is for myself and those who enjoy it my way include the following:

3 large jalapeno peppers diced
6 small jalapeno peppers whole
1 green bell pepper diced
1 red bell pepper diced

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

Re: Chilli - Adapt to your wishes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Works for me, M58....

I like mine but I'm always up for a new stew...

T   ;)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
simplified chili... medium onion diced sautee in oil, add 1 can tomato sauce, one can RoTel tomatoes and chilies (your choice of heat), one can drained and rinsed caliente style pinto beans.... add 1# ground chuck (do not brown), and let simmer till you get the correct consistency as it is a little thin

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:47:56 AM »
It all sounds good.  Sounds like something I need to try when I retire and have the time.

For now I use Tabasco Chili starter. 

I'm partial to a tomato base.  I've been heavy on tomatoes for the lycopene in them for a couple of decades now...which I liked them before using them for medicinal purposes.  I'll need to whup up a recipe some day....

It is getting close to that chili time of the year.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
It is getting close to that chili time of the year.

Shoot, I like it any time of the year.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:30:43 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
Any time of year. Any time of day. I wouldn't mind having chili and a couple of fried eggs for breakfast. Topped with shredded cheese.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
When to the local taco joint today and ordered a tasty burrito.  Not a Taco Bell!  Talking to the chef/owner about spicing it up a bit.

He asked if I cooked and came back with a mixed bag of fresh peppers of a few varieties, some I recognized, some I gotta look up.

Either way, that’s a first!  I told him I’d cook up a batch of my chili and bring him a bowl...

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
Identify please!

Jalapeño and habanero I know...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
Eat one of those little red *******s and tell us how hot it is. I don't know what it's called but little ones like that are usually very hot. Like bird peppers and Thai peppers. Or it could be something milder like Tabasco. The red one on the bottom could be cayenne but maybe not. I suspect everything is hotter than the jalapenos. The one to the right of the habanero in the middle looks like an aji amarillo. The pepper to the left of those two could be another habanero. There's so much variation in color and shape possible that I couldn't say for sure that any of them are what they look like. Even the two jalapenos could actually be something else.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »
They are all in my chili today except the habanero.

The lil red ones were medium hot, the yellow were a tad spicier, the funny red one one was hot but sweetly tasty raw.

Anyway, one fine batch of chili was made, shared and consumed!

Great flavor, sneaky heat!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk