Author Topic: Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking  (Read 9622 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
I have always loved to grill and smoke various foods outdoors, and recently have began setting up to do some Dutch oven cooking.
I have used cast iron skillets and griddles for many years, but never for slow-cooking/baking.

I hope to be posting a few recipes and/or experiences soon.

Anyone else a fan of, or old hand at this?
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

Re: Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
I make a skillet corn bread that's pretty tasty!  Lack a Dutch oven at the moment, AKA, The oven of yesteryear.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
I have all my grandmother's old cast iron cookware. She didn't use a Dutch oven though.

I just got a new 12" Carolina from our local ag supply store last week...... It is pre-seasoned, but not knowing what they use, I want to clean it and season it my self before cooking in it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
Pork product+ beans= win. Chillie is awesome too.  Otherwise any thing you would cook in a crock pot is great in a slow cooker.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
When I was an Explorer leader, we would use a cast iron dutch oven with a rim around the top of the lid.  maybe an inch tall.

We would dig a pit a bit bigger around and deeper than the dutch oven and burn wood to hot embers...then scoop them out leaving the bottom covered and put the dutch ove in....and cover the sides and top with the embers.

Don't remember what we made...but it was always good.

http://www.outdoorcooking.com/camp-chef-classic-10-dutch-oven.html?gdftrk=gdfV25448_a_7c1850_a_7c7563_a_7cSDO10&gclid=CI_564668r0CFdBcMgodNG4Ayg
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:28:49 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
I use peanut oil to season my cast iron because it has a high smoke point. And I never use soap to wash cast iron except when I haven't seasoned it yet. I may have said this before but my ex wrecked my big skillet by putting it in the dishwasher. It took years to get it solid black again. Now it's almost non-stick.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
A high smoke point might not be the best way.

Some say that a temperature around the smoke point of the oil or fat should be targeted since this will allow vaporization of impurities from the oil, and polymerization and carbonization to occur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_%28cookware%29

Here is what Lodge sells for the seasoning job.  Seems expensive.  I use bacon grease.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-accessories/seasoning-spray

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »
Lard!  Canola oil and crisco be damned!  Stick with good old lard!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
Some good stuff if  you are into cast iron.

I read a couple of years ago that the seasoning process occurs when the heated iron with the carbonized oil has it's expanded pores filled with the carbon material...and when it cool, it compresses the trapped carbon material ...

Haven't see that verified anywhere else...but his link gets close to that.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast-iron-cooking/
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
Lard!  Canola oil and crisco be damned!  Stick with good old lard!

That is what my grandmother used.....so I do too. Pure lard.
The secret is to put just enough of a coating on that it renders and goes into the pores, and wiping off the excess so that it doesn't get rancid if stored for long periods without use.
I have some of her skillets that are 60+ years old and they have better non-stick surfaces than the best teflon pans.

And, like Frank said, soap is a no-no....unless you are planning to re-season.

Solus, the one you linked to is like the one I have. Made with the lip around the lid for top-coals style cooking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk